Recommend a low-price printer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

After 11+years, my printer finally conked out. It's an Apollo & they don't make them any more.

Therefore, I am looking for a low-priced inkjet printer. I seldom print more than 10 or 12 pages per week. Almost never use color. Do not mind slow speed. I want a printer with readily available ink cartridges that sets up really simple & is a rugged machine. Windows XP.

Any recommendations would be very welcome because I am totally out of touch with the printer market.

P.S. OR... should I buy a low-end laser jet instead of an ink jet? Which is more economical to operate?

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

What I did (2-3yrs ago) was price out cheap Epson & Canon Inkjet printers. Then I priced out cheap non OEM cartridges. I ended up getting an Epson C62 stylus for $65. And about 9mos ago I bough 10 non OEM cartridges (6blk - 4clr) for $17 incl s&h from ebay. All is AOK.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Check the availability and $ of ink cartridges.
    If all things are equal.I'd buy another Canon S300.The one I have is a refurb and my wife uses it a LOT! It's very durable.If memory serves me well,I paid $60 for it on ebay 4 years ago.

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

If you can do without colour then get a laser. They much cheaper to run. I have had so many inkjets, mainly Epson, and they have worked well for a year but in the end if I do not use them enough then I have blocked nozzles and spend ages on cleaning cycles and wasting ink (money). Every time you switch them on they waste ink. Lasers you can leave for ages and they will still work.

Watch out for the toners they come with. Usually they are short filled and do not last long - also applies to inkjet cartridges that come with the printer.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I am on my 3rd inkjet, and switched to a Canon. I had been buying HPs. I think the Canon is a better printer but you can't beat the availability of HP ink cartridges. Here on the main land HP always has a big supply of all their cartridges at the stores, while Canon's pickin's aren't as good.

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I think Epson and Canon have fixed printheads. HP have or at least used to have them incorporated into the cartridge which makes life easier when you have a blockage.

8. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have two Canon's and one HP. From my view get a Canon that has separate ink cartridges for all the colors. I am paying 6.95 per cartridge locally. The ink is where the money is. As far as print heads,Canons are easy to change.

9. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I am not sure if seperate cartridges is a good idea. I thought it was when I got my Epson C80, but then I found after a few cartidge changes that I could not set up a print run since one was always getting towards empty and if you left it hoping then when you come back you get was sheets where one colour is missing. If you just do one or two at a time then it is not any issue.

10. egghead

egghead Registered Member

I recommend a Canon inkjet printer.

I have the Pixma IP 3000. (Look in the Pixma IP series for other models). Great prints in color and black & white. Cheap printer. Cartridges are relatively cheap.

When buying a printer:
    *Look at the prices of the cartridges. Some printers are cheap but the price
    of their cartridges bring you bankruptcy (Lexmark comes to mind)
    *And ofcourse, seperate inkcartridges are important.
    Seperate inkcartridges>e.g color cartridge empty>buy this 1 color
    Cartridge with 3 colors>1 color empty>you have to buy a new cartridge
    consisting of 3 colors. Waist of $$$$$$$$$$$$
    *Use original cartridges. Not the imitation: "cartridge suitable for
    printer..type..."

Talking about the printhead.

If the printhead on ANY printer clogs up, do not through it out. Soak the printhead in about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of windex window cleaner overnight (sometimes it takes 2 nights), and they are as good as new. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks to everyone!

Based on post #5 above, by djg05, I did some research on inkjets VS laser printers. I found many articles which indicate that the long-term cost of lasers is less than that of injets. The following is an extract of a representative one of those articles at THIS link...

Since I only print in B&W, I am leaning toward a laser printer. Amazon has a few *home user* models that are under $100 -- such as THIS one by HP, & THIS one by Brother.

I'm still taking time to *think* some more (I have more time than money, as a matter of fact) -- so any comments one way or the other would be greatly appreciated.

12. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I have nothing but good experiences with Canon printers, both inkjet and laser :)

13. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I have a Hewlett Packard PhotoSmart P1000 color InkJet printer and a Hewlett Packard LaserJet 1320. I have had no problems with either. I have my color cartridges refilled at Walmart and I purchase my toner cartridges from a home business that deals in refilling cartridges. I have saved a considerable amount by doing this. Previously I had an HP color printer but with the installation of XP it no longer worked. I purchased another HP because of the experience I had with it. The HP LaserJet that I purchased was because of the experience that the Tax Office I worked at had with the ones they had. There are a number of inexpensive printers out there and which one would be best for you no one knows. The primary reason I bought the ones I have is that if something goes wrong with either it will not break me just to simply replace it. I wish you good luck with whichever one you purchase.

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I got a real old black and white injet printer that is still unopened. :gack: Don't know if they still make the replacement cartridge for it though. Color printers tend to be more expensive than BW because you have more ink cartridges to replace. Laser toners cost much more than inkjet cartridges. A lot of the inkjets are comparable in print quality to the laser printers so I don't think you lose much (other than speed) to buy inkjets. I have used Canon, Epson, and Compaq printers and they have all worked well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.