recommend a good deleted file data overwriting tool

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by razor0018, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razor0018

razor0018 Registered Member

So far I have only found reviews on a program called Eraser but if anyone knows something better any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

2. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

3. herbalist

herbalist Guest

There may be programs with more features, but Eraser is one of the best tools for the job. I've used it for years with no problems. It's built in scheduler is great for controlling the buildup of temp files, clearing the browser cache, logs, etc. The free space wipe will do what you're asking.

A suggestion. Eraser adds an erase command to the right click menu. If you use it in place of the delete command, the files are overwritten immediately, making free space wipes unnecessary.
    Rick

4. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

bcwipe is another good one. It offers secure delete, as well as free space wiping etc.

jetico.com

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Likewise:

ERASER by Heidi is by far and away one if not the very best file overwriter ever devised, and it's Quick

I say that because i regularly and only use "it" to delete any files or folders on all my hard drives and even at 7 passes is fast. I haven't tried the 35 pass for regular duties because i only go for enough smear so that $M Windows and/or the Read-Write Heads don't have to stumble over data space it might perceives as something to hesitate over untill it concludes it's legitimate free space.

With that being said i also DAILY use RESTORATION for it's DELETE COMPLETELY feature to keep drive performance at it's best. The less muck laying around the disk, then more response you get in return.

Might work for you too. :thumb:

7. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Damn!

I tried Restoration -- and maybe it's my imagination or some other variable at play this morning -- but my C: drive is f-l-y-i-n-g now. I had R. replace all the vacant clusters, including those used by other files, even if the file size were reported as zero. It is smoking!

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi snowdrift :)

This is exactly why i been trying to attract some attention to this really good freeware program. It's author is Japanese no less and barring some surprise looks to be the only version of it we'll ever find, BUT, the DELETE COMPLETELY mode is transformed my partitions with better reflexes than evr before.

It just makes perfect sense that the less leftover unused particles of data cleaned is bound to have a positive impact for performance, and that it does and does well.

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Blowfish Advanced CS recently "discovered" by me does the same and I was
    likewise pleasantly surprised at the speed increase provided by the Clear
    Empty Disc Space function. The Deslack function is also pretty usefull, but
    don't use on your active partition(errors and BSOD on restarting). Deslack
    works fine on all other partitions.

Blowfish Advanced CS (1)

Blowfish Advanced CS at Coder's Lagoon

10. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Here are two screenshots of R-Wipe. Someone mentioned that it is slow but I have used eraser and Steganos and I could not see a difference. And I like all of the options of R-Wipe.

This is the upper half.

http://i22.tinypic.com/5tx3y1.jpg

This second one shows where I checked the options in the Applications Traces.

http://i22.tinypic.com/b6byg1.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.