Reason Core Security...??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Durad, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Anybody using Reason Core Security?
    How is it comparing to MBAM?

Does it use third party engine and which one?

Resources?

Thanks

2. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2015
  3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm not into cloud based scanners, but the GUI looks nice, didn't even know about this app. Seems to be a competitor to HMP and ZAM?

4. idaho

idaho Registered Member

Reason Core Security is very light on my system. I see 4 Processes running, together about 20MB. CPU mostly 0%. System responce is quick, not slowdown at all. First I did 30 Day Trial testing, then bought 1 Year Licence last Monday for 12 USD. Promo is extended till this Friday, just use MONDAY for discount at check out in order.

5. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Looks like guy who owned or operated GIANT Antispyware (later acquired by Miscorosft) is leading this project..

GIANT Antispyware was pioneer in antimalware software.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It runs on XP so I shall give it a trial.

QUESTION: Does the free version insist on running real-time, or does it permit on-demand execution VICE real-time?

7. You can disable real time protection and startup at boot. When you manually want to scan a file with right click menu option, it auto starts itself. You have to close application afterwards.

When you only want to scan your PC, you could also have a look at HerdProtect

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2015
  8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Are CoreSecurity, and HerdProtect developed by the same developer/s?

9. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

They are from the same developer. The installer for CoreSecurity, and Herdprotect are both digitally signed by Reason Software Company Inc.

10. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Reason Core Security also acquired Unchecky which has been incorporated into this product.
    It hasn't been updated for quite a while, nor did they respond to a support query. I wonder if it is still being actively developed.

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

HerdProtect is no longer updates. The installer is dated from December 2014. I'm sure it will still work fine, but it seems there will no more versions released.

12. paulderdash

The last update to RCS that I have was 15 October 2015.

13. I don't know about GIANT, but first Windows Defender (which was based on GIANT) had two mode's: monitoring running programs and monitoring all entrypoints (autoruns) which made malware survive restart. Looking at Core Security, it seems to also have a mode to scan autoruns and browser add-ons. Guess the plan was to produce something commercial all the time. They needed Herdprotect (which scanned all the software entrypoints/autoruns) to populate their fingerprint data base of known good (autorun) software.

When there are no new autoruns developed by Microsoft, Herdprotect will not need any updates, since it uses the scanning engines of VT. Considering they need a feed for their known good list, it is likely they will push the free version as alternative for Herdprotect.

14. zord

zord Registered Member

I am disappointed on this program. HerdProtect when scanning an unknown file performs its analysis. Reason core security while scanning of unknown file only checks it is in the database, if you do not it does not get any result.

15. simmersK00L

simmersK00L Registered Member

I question what herdprotect was /is doing for "analysis." I passed on using before, but DL'd & tried it yesterday. It reports that an exe on my hdd is "UndefinedMalware" and claims to have 14 detections from the hash, including Kaspersky, avast, eset, Sophos, MS, EAM, AVG...! Scary!! So I ran the hash at VT and it comes back 0/53. Some other detections were "not_really" too, but the example I gave is the most extreme, and clearly incorrect, if not fraudulent. I'm removing herdprotect and now consider Reason unreasonable under any circumstance. Why do they still offer it, if does not work & makes me wonder what it was really doing...?

16. roger_m

@simmersK00L Maybe you should email them about it. It's most likely a bug rather than anything deliberate. Reason is a trustworthy company and was started Andrew Newman, who responsible for the excellent Giant Antspyware,

17. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

HerdProtect hasn't been updated for more than one year.
    It is less prominent on there site. I guess it's been abandoned.
    I used the portable version for a while, but found it to slow, for practical use.
    In my opinion they use to much scanners. Less, but qualified, scanners are sufficient

I still use HMP portable, and it has proven to be the best cloud scanner.
    You can also consider ZAM portable, which is is still in early state, but very promising. (A HMP clone)
    ZAM offers malware removal in free version and additional real time protection in paid version, when installed.
    Paid version also offers real time protection as portable, when added to auto-start. (not recommended, due to delayed start)

So ZAM ist to be compared with Reason CoreSecurity, which offers removal and protection, in paid version and during trial.
    After trial expired, there is still scanning ability and some immunisation against bundled adware installers, by Unchecky.
    I like Unchecky.
    Cant say much about RCS. Find out yourself.
    I'm very interested to get feedback about RCS

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  18. paulderdash

RCS development also seems to have slowed, there last was a minor update on 24 Dec 2015.

19. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Necroing this thread. When trying to download HerdProtect, it recommends I download this program. They are both by the same developer, but is HerdProtect integrated into RCS, or should they both be downloaded?

20. paulderdash

HerdProtect is integrated into RCS, as well as Unchecky.

21. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Is herdProtect still updated, or is it better just to get Reason Core Security?

22. paulderdash

Dunno about herdProtect. RCS seems very quiet, no updates for 3 months. So not sure if this is now abandonware. Same dev so maybe both ...
    We'll see because I've noticed Unchecky has just had an update on March 17th, so it will be interesting if RCS gets updated.

23. roger_m

@paulderdash I doesn't seem to be abandonware as they are active on their social networking accounts.

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

herdProtect version is still 1.0.3.9 Dec. 2014

25. paulderdash

Looks like a revamped Reason Core Security 2.0.0.0 has been released, 27 Feb 2017.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.