Reanimate thread re FDSIR and Linux bootloaders

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Longboard, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Hey all:
    this brief but in retrospect important thread was put forward some time ago:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=171593

Can I just revisit this please:
    I have been messing with linux installs on spare box and VMs for some time.
    I just wanted to check re the latest FDISR and MBR conflicts: is it still possible to install GRUB or LILO and FDISR ??
    FDISR is installed into Partition Boot not MBR; right?.

Is that an option under all *nix installs?

@wilbertnl: you have this running ?

( lol: FDISR still rules here: check re ANY issues there first ;) )

There are so many "power" options available BING, GAG, GRUB, etc etc my brain hurts...

AS an aside anyone have a link to 'change' the boot loader in selected Linuxi from Grub <-> LILO if/as required ??

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  2. Brother Esau

Brother Esau Registered Member

I use BootIT ( BING) with FD-ISR Server and no issues what so ever on my end.

3. Longboard

Thankyou.
    Is your BING installed or used as a boot disc.?

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Howdy Longboard, good to see you alive and kicking!

Since some day before Tod's explanation of the changes with regards to boot code (I tried to find the version information, but I failed: I must assume that you have a version that is released after the date of the message.) there is more flexibility when installing non-Microsoft operating systems.

On a empty disk I usually start with installing Windows and then I install anything else I like to play with (or USE).
    For FD-ISR to function, the Windows system partition has to be C:. And when you install FD-ISR, the system partition also has to be bootable (showing active in the disk manager)
    After you installed FD-ISR, it doesn't matter anymore if the system partittion is active or not, FD-ISR will behave with a sense of obenience.

It also doesn't matter if you install any boot manager (grub, lilo or anything else) in the MBR.
    I do prefer to install the GRUB in another partition, though. Because that way I don't have to reinstall GRUB after I reinstall Windows (again). Installing Windows means that a standard MBR is written to disk.
    All I have to do, after reinstalling Windows, is to make the partition with GRUB code active and all is set.
    (When you installed GRUB in the MBR, you need to reinstall that after you reinstalled Windows, which is more of a hassle)

Yes, it's possible to install GRUB and LILO in partition records and avoid the MBR. I only know of FreeBSD's standard boot manager, that needs it's boot code in the MBR. But FreeBSD is also suported by GRUB, no need to use the standard boot manager.

More questions, something not clear?
    Let me know.

5. Longboard

oops:
    wilbertnl pm'd me and I have read this.
    Didn't want anyone to think I was rude by not responding.

For me anyway this is an intriguing set of issues and opportunities re FDISR and MBR bootloaders.
    Thanx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.