RealVNC & firewall issue

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BigBear67, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBear67

BigBear67 Registered Member

Hello,

I'm hoping someone here can help. I am configuring a small office that uses RealVNC for remote access and ESET Smart Security. I can't seem to find a firewall setup to make the two of them work together to my liking.

The firewall has 3 modes of course: Automatic, Interactive, and Policy-Based. The users in the office are not to be making any decisions about allowing or disallowing anything, so Interactive mode is out. Policy-Based mode is a bit too restrictive; I see myself constantly having to tweak things to allow traffic. But at this point it's looking like my only option.

Ideally I would like to use Automatic, but RealVNC won't work at all when in this mode. I can disable the firewall entirely and RealVNC will connect, so the router is setup properly. I can set rules while in Interactive Mode and traffic also flows. But then when I switch it back to Automatic Mode, the rules I have just set are ignored and it stops working again.

This is pretty aggravating. I'd like to be able to set a rule, then set it back to Automatic but still have it follow the rule I just set, because I think Automatic mode will in general make the right decisions. I need a work-around. Help!

Thanks in advance,
    BB67

2. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

well depending on your office policy you can use interactive mode to find out what rules to add ( I say this because I had similar issues with AVG gettng my XBOX360 to share media - putting in the ports as defined by MS for this to work never did but ESS in interactive ode was able to learn and save info allowing these services to work properly). At that point you could put the firewall on the machines in policy mode, add in the rules and then create accounts for your users where they cannot even see the firewall i.e. do not add them to the admins of the machine, just standard users? I believe that is how many enterprise offices work.... I know until recently my company did not allow us to see the firewall but now we can and we can even modify the rules to add in friendly sites. Still cant believe they use MacAfee though... arggggggggg....

3. cham

cham Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.