realtime protection

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by drhayden1, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drhayden1

drhayden1 Registered Member

i paid and downloaded the full version from the ewido website....can someone explain what the realtime protection does.....i have the retail spy sweeper and ad-aware se plus(ad-watch turned off now)with ewido and spy sweeper back ground running only...i'm used to seeing pop-ups from spy sweeper and ad-aoware asking you stuff........i don't see anything from ewido like that.....how do i KNOW it's workingo_O??

2. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

As long as you have the Guard activated, ewidoquard will show running in your task manager. It won't do anythingn UNLESS it detects malware. It monitors differently than Spysweeper or Ad Watch. It you want to test it, you can turn off your AV BRIEFLY and try to download EICAR test file:

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Don't forget to turn AV back on afterwards!!!

3. greenhatch

greenhatch Registered Member

I believe that version 4 is intended to give more user choices in it, which hopefully will involve actually seeing some signs of action in the real-time monitoring. The beta version is due out today!

4. vinzenz.ewido

vinzenz.ewido former ewido team

You should know that the file won't be found by only downloading, the file needs to be executed to be found by our realtime protection.

This shows you, that ewido anti-malware stops the malware if it will be executed.

(This is the same reason why our realtime protection in 3.5 doesn't recognizes cookies by itself)

BR

5. OldRebel

BTW - The link on the Ewido UI to download a test virus is not working right now. It goes to page not available or something like that. So does the link for the survey. The new website seems to have something missing!

6. drhayden1

drhayden1 Registered Member

thanks.........its working........is there any where that shows a detail of what the realtime protection doeso_O?and curious ....that survey to get a month free on the ewido full version main screen is not working....anybody know anything about thato_O??:)

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

definately a nice feature imho!

8. vinzenz.ewido

@drhayden1
    What do you mean I don't understand what you're talking about. Sorry :(

o_O :blink:

@OldRebel
    No the survey is no longer available that's all :|

9. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, vinzenz.ewido

Why? Would it fail, Like the Company's PR seems to be heading to do.

Have taken any time thinking about or even bother to read this. #56

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

10. OldRebel

I have migrated to beta Ewido 4.0 and it is functioning perfectly IMO. The Ewido guys are going through a transition - that's all. There will be minor changes as time goes by, such as the survey, which was at their option anyway. They have done a magnificent job of getting 4.0 ready for testing and I am looking forward to renewing my license when the time comes. I would not even compare Ewido to Spysweeper. I have both. Most of Spysweeper's alerts are about start up programs. If you want never ending alerts,try Windows Defender. It would not even let my AV run a scheduled scan without its permission. If you want a software that meddles in everything you do, I don't think Ewido is the one to have. It only deals with malware and doesn't nag me about my modem drivers, printer drivers, etc. like that Microsoft beast did.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2006
  11. greenhatch

I agree about Windows defender, it does seem to 'nag' unnecessarily. I believe the main reason behind, what was a continuing delay in issuing v4.0 beta, was the takeover negotiations with Grisoft, which of course gave the Ewido boys further time to sort out bugs before release of the beta. The beta is working fine on my computer but I will retain 3.5 disabled for a few more days.

12. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I thought drhayden1 meant that it would be great to see what exactly the memory and filescanner are doing in realtime .. let me try to explain cause it's not that easy to write up what I'm thinking :D

on the mainscreen of Ewido V4 you could reserve some space (one line is enough I guess) where it would be possible to see the Path where the realtime scanner is doing his job.
    Something like with NOD32, you can see on the http settings box what it is doing in realtime (scanning gifs, bmps, activex, ... whatever site you're accessing, you can see it visualy) .. on access, all the data the scanner is analysing in the background .. so if Ewido is scanning the system32 folder in the background, then you could see this in the mainpage of the program.
    pfffew, at least I tried to explain, I think I managed *puppy*
    some sort of realtime logging system?

Thanx Vinzenz, have a nice day.

13. TheQuest

Hi, OldRebel

I do not get that on my WinXP x32 or the x64 using Windows Defender beta 2, also taken that it Free, which you can Download from Microsoft without having to send any harvesting details like Grisoft want you to send them.

Where as Ewido Beta 4.0 is not Free, it is only a 30 trial,

I have a Paid for Lifttime Copy Ewido.

Take Care,

14. vinzenz.ewido

All users with licenses can already unlock ewido anti-malware 4.0 with their keys.

BR

15. TheQuest

Hi, vinzenz.ewido

Thank you for replying to my post.

I am aware of that from some of the very first post on v4.0.

The point I am trying to make is the amount of Information that they Grisoft require to obtain a 30day Trial Bata.

I think it is Harvesting of Information. [I know Harvesting is not a correct Derivative of Harvest, they being Harvestable adj or Harvester n] but it is the only way I can describe the way Grisoft are allowing people to Download.

With regards.

Take Care,

16. greenhatch

Yes I agree. I did not like that Grisoft required name, address, occupation etc to issue the beta. But on the other hand, the Ewido free trial period has been increased from 14 days (pre-takeover) to 30.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.