RealPlayer!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rookieman, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I'm attempting to clean some junk off my computer and I came across Realplayer which won't open anymore.Is this program obsolete?Any opinions on what i should do with this program.

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Get rid of it as best you can and replace it with a Real Player Alternative if you need it.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I'll second this ;)

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

True it's not obsolete but it does have an adware/spyware reputation and Real Alternative is often suggested as a better program.

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

No it is not But I also suggest real alternative get rid of the take over your computer real network crap.the real alternative does what it is suppose to do no more no less.

7. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

8. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

From their website:
    RealPlayer Enterprise Manager =

RealPlayer Enterprise Manager
    30-day money back guarantee
    from $250.00.

$250.00 seems a little steep to play realmedia content:eek:

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

The player is free :)

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

11. bgfalconboy

bgfalconboy Registered Member

If I were to uninstall realplayer and download this "real alternative" player would I be able to listen to mp3 files on some sites that are using a Real Player for their tunes? I just wanna know before I decide to get rid of it. One of my favorite band sites uses real player for their mp3's.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

13. bgfalconboy

Re: Uninstalling Real Player......

I just decided to get rid of Real Player. After the uninstall was done I got message that said "The following files and/or directories could not be deleted.

/C:\Documents and Settings\Brando\Local Settings\Application Data\Google

Should I try and find this file and delete it?

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It shows the path to the file. Application data is a hidden file, so you will have to configure Windows to show hidden files.

I'm not sure what Google has to do with RealPlayer.

Did you restart your computer after uninstalling?

15. bgfalconboy

No restart , this message came up immediately after Real Player was done uninstalling. The message came up in Notepad.

16. bgfalconboy

Ok, I finally find out how to show all files and folders. I followed the path shown by the notepad message and and it what appeared in the Google folder was GoogleEarth that I had download some time ago and and really have never used it. I guess I can delete this with no problem?

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Are you using a Google toolbar with your browser?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  18. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

realPlayerAlternative is an openSource program... one of the best-Libre music apps and can play almost any music format you can possibly download from net, or whatever. If it won't play a particular sound format you got, you can search/download rPA plugins for that particular sound file too.

Aside from rPAlternative... two more excellent Libre-sound player is VLC (the client series) and; Satsuki_Decoder pack (current version is 3.11.7; there are other types of pack for specific playbacks), the url of which is here - http://yatoshi.com/en/index.php?p=downloads

Reason why folks here recommend taking off RealPlayer is due to the effect its ODM default will always convert your archive music files to its proprietary RealPlayer format...& sort of mess some playback quality. Besides, the price it offer for downloading a non-restrictive paid copy was So Exorbitant - USD200+ for 1 damned music player appo_O

C?

19. bgfalconboy

Nope, no google toolbar. Another odd thing is the my Add/Remove Programs window has seemingly frozen , as in I can't move the window unless I click off somewhere else and I can't scroll inside it , my browser and the other windows are fine.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  20. clambermatic

'bgfBoy'...add/remove ControlPanel freezing? Do an AV/MWare scan first before doing a reBOOT... and also include the typical Full ChkDsk in your reBOOT task too.

If no infections are involved... then full ChkDsk + reBoot shall clear up your Colds! ;)

21. bgfalconboy

Doing a full ST scan right now. How do I do a full chkdsk on reboot?

22. bgfalconboy

Hmmm......odd. After ST scan and finding nothing I was bout to go do a check disk, when I discovered I could now move the Add/Remove Programs window and scroll up n' down just fine now. Everything seems to be okay:)

23. clambermatic

Sorry for the late reply, 'bgfBoy'.

I noticed that your "add/remove" panel is working after doing your ST scan.

The reason why i requested you to do a full ChkDsk after an AVscan was that if & ever your scanner caught a malware, cure & deleted it... there might be some residues left. Rule-of-thumb in case verified infection was - after the initla scan & cleaning... reBoot & do another AVscan. When OS were manifested Clean by your scanner, do another reBoot but includes a fix-chkDsk as well.

Coz when scanner deleted& cure an infection subsequently, those malware may have left residues that are 'hooked' to some reg entries which can be considered as broken/miscue etc. Doing a fix-ChkDsk re-validate & fix any leftover issues on your file systems.

ChkDsk how2, upon reBoot? K...
    Prior to logoff & restart, Goto desktop Main. Click MyComputer icon>right-click C:\ (and any other dir u want chkdsk to run on)>Properties>Tools>Check Now-Error Checking & 'tick-on' Automatically Fix..., then click back on Start (to close page)>Apply+OK & close the MyComp screen.

Now goto your usual procedure of logoff+reStart... once on bootup stage, it should indicate ChkDsk processes in the order of which dir you have assign ChkDsk to run.

Let ChkDsk do its work automatically, unless you want to truncate or cut short that process (for particular reason of yours). At end of process, it should go to your main start-window, or your logon page. ;)

24. bgfalconboy

Yeah, I just figured out how to do it a short time after that post. I got Real Alternative and seems to work just fine. The only thing I noticed was that when I was listening to a realplayer file from a bands site the connection speed fluctuated to like 44khz instead of 108khz or something like that. Small price to pay to get Real Player off the system I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.