really need to uninstall wormguard, cant!

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by Adam, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam

Adam Registered Member

hi all,
    i dont know any other way of putting this other than i feel wormguard was just too 'strong' or 'harsh' on my system.

my computer didnt 'like' it at all...{if thats possible!}

but seriously , i needed to uninstall it, and i did , but still there are remaining parts that are just too stubborn. they just wont be deleted, and the rest i guess i cant find them.

i tried to manually delete from my E-drive this file, wguard.dll, but an erroer comes up saying that "access is denied!' " cannot delete file". huh?

well, so i manually deleted the stuff lying around in my e-drive of wormguard, and now a new thing has started comming up.

any icon in my desktop i click on, wether it be 'iexplore 'or 'ACDSee classic'
    or ' mediaplayer'.........the following message comes up.

"Wormguard configuration file not found"
    "please use WGUARD.EXE to configure the system"

and i DONT have wguard.exe anywhere{i guess i deleted it huh}

as you can imagine, it is getting really annoying ,seeing it pop up everytime i want to open an application.

of course, the moment i close it, or click 'ok' my application proceeds to open as if nothing happened.

i need to get rid of this, please advice!!

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Adam,

Did you launch WormGuard and Remove Protection before uninstalling from Add Remove Programs?
    You might try reinstalling it, enable protection, remove protection, exit WG, then uninstall the DiamondCS WormGuard Hook, then DiamondCS WormGuard (from Add Remove Programs).

3. Adam

Adam Registered Member

Hi Devinco,
    i dont think i did the 'remove protection' thing{i didnt know it existed?}, i have directly uninstalled it.

the thing is , i am too scared to reinstall it again, seeing how stubborn the thing is !

i guess what is remaining now is 'the wormguard hook'?
    would it be possible to just unhook it without installing it again?
    and if i do install a new wormguard program, will the old hook give way to the new hook?

i rerally hope there is a more gentle way of removing it...what do u think?

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I would temporarily deactivate other security software (except firewall) and reinstall WormGuard. I would then run WG, enable protection, remove protection, exit WG, then uninstall the DiamondCS WormGuard Hook, then uninstall DiamondCS WormGuard (from Add Remove Programs).

I think that would be the most gentle way to remove it. Other ways would seem to be more forceful and probably wouldn't work.
    Not sure about the old hook/new hook part, just install it into the same directory you put it in last time.

5. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Wguard.dll is still registered, the easiest way would be to uninstall "DiamondCS Wormguard Hook" from Add/Remove programs. If you have problems, the steps above surely would get you there in the end :)

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Adam, why do you think WormGuard is too strong for your system, what happened to make you think so and scare you off?
    We might be able to help you in if you want? All is configurable and in fact so easy to use.....

7. Adam_21

Adam_21 Guest

Hello all,
    Gavin,......but of course, it was so obvious! which makes it even more funny that i didnt get it.
    the 'wormguard hook' was in the Add/Remove programs all along,and one shft+del was all it took to delete it, and it was gone.

yeah, i am kinda feeling a little stupid right now!

Devinco told me the same thing..i see it now,.........i just didnt think of looking for it in the add/delete programs {dont ask why}

ahh, back to normal, ....by the way, the wguard.dll is still there , but it hasnt given me any trouble since, it just sits there, undeletable.
    well, live and let live i say.

to answer Jooksie's question, ...i dont know, it sort of didnt smoothly blend into my system, it didnt jive well with other programs, ...it is a controlfreak{ yes, i know thats a good thing to have on your side when facing worm attacks}.....

but i dont know, i have the same 'harsh' effect to a higher degree with TDS-3......
    i mean TDS-3 was just like a sledge-hammer on my system, my CPU usage hit the ceiling when it was running!!

but hey, no worries....im ok now!

8. Chuklberry

Chuklberry Registered Member

Hi Adam,
    Can you tell us your system configuration?
    (CPU,RAM...)
    Strange to hear that you have so much problems!

Regards,
    Chuklberry

9. Adam_21

Adam_21 Guest

Hi Chuklberry,
    well maybe it isint right to comment on TDS-3,i have nothing to say because i didnt understand it!... i feel its settings and stuff were like too complicated for me......all i know is the sort of side effects that manifested themselves after its installation....but i have had 'trojan hunhter 3.9' for a while now, and it does the job very well.
    also i have a registered version of ZAP 5.1, and i know how configure it properly.
    thats why since i bought it last month, i havent had a single browser hijack, and not a single tracking cookie has managed to come thru it!
    plus i have webroot spysweeper 3, and norton2003 with live update till late 2005.

Intel P-4>HT -Technology/XP Pro/2.8GHz/80GB Hdd/256 Mb DDR RAM/ 17" black LG Flatron monitor etc.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hmmmmmm Adam, i don't agree TDS would be any difficult in configuration at all. Feel free to open a thread in the TDS forum and we'll step you through where needed. Also do have a look in the various IMPORTANT stickey threads with FanJ's outstanding configuration recommendations and screenshots etc.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24666
    It's one of the easiest security programs known in fact, just install, reboot, update, let it start and look into refining some settings like including your email address for intrusion attempts alerts for instance, that's about all there is. Can't be hard if you know your SMTP server name.
    Since you mention "side effects" can you please be so kind as to open a thread in the TDS forum and tell us about it so we can help you with that or find a cause, maybe with the new SPs there are matters DiamondCS has to look into, whatever. So thanks in advance for your thread there!

BTW: if ever (un)installing any software do yourself a very big favor and close ALL scanners, including their resident protection.
    With that you avoid many problems, unproper installs and uninstalls, and lots of possible problems.

BTW-2: TDS/WG and all the other DiamondCS tools run very fine together with TH, BOClean, etc.

WormGuard is even easier to install:
    Install, reboot, enable protection, test it, nothing more to do. Or you might like to look if all is like you want it. Here in the forum you see people adding files to be blocked and/or checked, while you can exclude files from being checked, always allow, etc.
    Can only say WormGuard saved my computer's life several times and i find it handy to be able to make my own decissions to run a blocked file anyway after checking the file source in safe view etc.

ZoneAlarm Pro works very fine together with all DiamondCS programs, including TDS and WormGuard, so that can't be any problem either.
    If you know to configure that well, which can be made rather complicated if you want to go into the expert rules etc. If you know to configure that well none of TDS, WormGuard, Port Explorer etc can be any problem for you.
    With Port Explorer you might like to close ZAP a moment during installation, after it runs very fine together and gives you much more control about your traffic and to see what's really going on. But that is a discussion for the Port Explorer forum :)

What happened with WormGuard on your system giving the impression it is too heavy? It doesn't cost any resources, etc. We might be able to step you through your questions if you like to try again?

BTW-3: make sure all your downloads come from the DiamondCS side itself to avoid any doubts for yourself.

11. Adam_21

Adam_21 Guest

hi Jooksie!,
    u r right about wormguard not taking up resources,{it used to spring up quite a lot of times, warning me about allowing certain scripts to run, but they werent malicious, so even after clicking on 'always allow' the message did come up every time! } i remember that....TDS-3 took what could be said as reasonable memory usage,although whenever i would 'end process' it from the taskmanager my CPU usage would drop from 70% to 7 or 8%....everytime.

other than that Jooksie, i really have nothing more to add, because subsequently i removed them from my system and that was the end of it.

now, i dont have anything against TDS-3, i have read reviews citing it to be 'The' most powerfull trojan detector currently out there, and trust me , i believe it!!

but i am in way over my depth to pinpoint areas where i faced trouble with them....

i hope u will understand, Jooksie, if i am a little apprehensive about reinstallling them{at least for the time being}, even though i know that it will be a piece of cake for you to walk me through the configuration process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.