Real-World Passwords

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Bruce Schneier

2. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

Thanks for the link Ronjor, interesting read.

On the subject of passwords, I was wondering how easy it is to create a secure password.

I thought my windows XP account had a pretty good password. It was 12 characters long, containing letters, numbers and symbols.

I then installed and ran Proactive Windows Security Explorer 1.10. It found my password in about 10 secs.

I kept the same password but copied and pasted it twice to make 24 characters. Took about 10 secs to crack it.

It was only when I copied and pasted it three times, to give 36 characters that the programme had difficulty finding it.

So based on my little experiment, I would have to conclude that you need a password somewhere between 25 and 36 characters long.

Does anyone know if my conclusion is anywhere near the truth?

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I tailor my passwords to what they protect and what they can unlock and who has access to what. For example my browser has a built in password manager, since that protects all the passwords that gets a long password 50 positions. I use the password generator in Keepass to generate a 50 position random password.

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

That proactive password auditor was a scary little software :ouch:
    I didnt know it was so easy to retrieve my admin account password (brute force through registry):gack:
    It didnt get my user account password though (admin group). I wonder why. It actually has less letters and no numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.