Real time vs On demand

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Dregg Heda, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Right now I see RVS as primarily a browser guard. Can you guys give me ideas on how I could make the most of the features offered by RVS? How do you guys use RVS? What is the advantage of running RVS real-time as opposed to On demand when you need it, like when you are surfing?

2. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I also use it when I am testing software. If I do not like the program I am looking at a simple re-boot and all traces of it are gone. You could also use it if you decide to mess with your system config or settings, again a simple reboot and your back to where you were before. With the paid version you can opt to reboot and keep the changes if you want to.

3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

RVS is protecting the entire system partition when protection is on (mode = on or Session Lock). What you are thinking of is application level virtualization where specific programs are sandboxed. RVS does not fliter or care what program is or is not running as it is protecting the real system whereas a program like SandboxIE is only concerned with the specific program or programs it is sandboxing at that moment.

The approaches are complimentary however...

To asnwer this specifically, it would help to discuss your envirnment and then make commentary on how you could use RVS more efficiently.

Personally, I use both methods depending on what I am doing.

This depends on your preferences and requirements. Both always on and on demand are valid strategies depending on the need at the time. Some examples:

Always on: We work with a charity/volunteer group called KINfolk that supplies donated laptops and internet access for seriously ill children and their families while they are in hospital. Before they started using RVS, a computer would be wiped, re-imaged, and then assigned to a child. The child would use the computer and then return it after a period of time. When the system was returned, the volunteers would need to wipe and re-image that system prior to assignment with the next child.

Once they introduced RVS, that cycle became return, check or simply restart the system (some machines are returned without having been turned off for example) and then reassign to the next child. This on average saved the group about 17 hours of work per 50 computers deployed per week. Considering that none of the volunteers are paid for this service, this represents a tremendous benefit for their organization and as a result, more children can be serviced...

On demand: Some users prefer to look at Returnil as a form of panic button or in a similar fashion to the way bgoodman4 describes. You think you are about to surf questionable websites, open a suspect archive, have your cousin over for a visit ;) etc. When in doubt, virtualize...

Edit: spelling

4. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Thanks Cold Moon, I think you've answered most of my questions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.