Real-time scanning w/o email scanning?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by networm, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. networm

networm Registered Member

except for real-time scanning function, many AV have email scanning funcion?
    Is this a must-have for AV?

Right now I'm running F-Secure client security, if i disable email scanning, does that mean some virus,trojan, etc will come out of/go into my computer?

2. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

I regard it as very important. In fact, the only virus alerts I've ever had on my system are those from my email scanning......the 'odd' email with a dirty attachment.
    Cheers,
    Buck.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

That will strongly depend on you ISP. Many providers now scan e-mail for viruses at the server level, this is in addition to the spam filtering that many also offer and shunts a large fraction of the mail volume outside of your view from the start.

Blue

4. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Am I the only person on the planet that uses Web Email o_O

I use XPlite and have removed most junk from XP/SP2... NO Outlook Express, and NO Windows Media Player high than version 6.4.

Mike

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

7. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I have noticed that most email viruses try to infiltrate ones system via a compressed file attached, which can do no harm unless you uncompress the file. I have never been infected through email unless it came through an compressed(zipped) attachment that I opened. If your AV does its job in the real time protection department, then theoretically speaking it should catch the virus when you unzip the file anyway. Most folks here, including myself, use email scanning anyway.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Because of my websites I receive LOTS of email. It is all scanned by my spam filters, so I do not want yet another *automatic* scan (by an AntiVirus) to further slow-down the process.

Instead, I have my email client's filter set-up to detach ALL attachments & send them to an IOMEGA zip file, where I can scan them at my leisure.

9. networm

if the attachment is not compressed, and if the email-scan is turn off, Is real -scan able to capture the virus?

If so, why need email scan?

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well that's subjective. Good real time monitors will catch the virus as you recieve the email, but in that case, it may have already launched a script, modified the registry, opened up some exploit or something like that...remember that a real time monitor is used for checking files only...

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

We're talking about *attachments* here, right? In which case, doesn't an attachment have to be opened before it can launch a script, modify the registry, etc?

I *think* that some monitors also scan memory. I'm pretty sure that DrWeb does so.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, Firecat. Just trying to learn. Shalom

12. Firecat

Don't worry I'm a kid and I still have lots to learn...maybe some pro like blackcat will help us out :)

13. networm

I think so, at least F-Secure (KAV based AV), Dr.Web, does so

Hope some Pro clarify this.

14. Firecat

F-Secure, Dr.Web, KAV and eScan seem to do this...It seems eScan has the best memory scanner among these though. Lets see what a Pro says.

15. networm

How do you know that? any proof?

16. Firecat

I didn't say it is, I said it seems. The On-Demand memory scanner is scanning all processes and files in memory along with the DLLs they're using (and other assosciated files) and is also scanning the registry.

As far as I observed, KAV scans only running processes and some dlls. Of course, I could be wrong...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.