Real player

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by enigma, Aug 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enigma

enigma Registered Member

Hi to all,
    A friend of mine bought a new Dell 4600 PC. He had 2 choices for an ISP from Dell. Aol or Earthlink. (six months free from either) I insisted that they use Earthlink!! Now they want to watch real time racing at NASCAR.com. However you need Real Player to watch it, or so the site claims. Is there a "clean" alternative they can use? I have put my foot down about AOL and Real Player. I even uninstalled AOL and all its componets. Havent changed the registry yet, but thats next.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you!!

2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi - Try Quicktime http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ or

http://www.macromedia.com/software/flashplayer/productinfo/partners/richmedia/mediaplayers/

Read privacy policies to be sure that you are satisfied.

You are right in ridding your friend of AOL and Real Player. If you friend is in doubt, show him the following spyware info. I got off an anti-spyware site.

Search Results

Previous Next
    Back to record list
    Record 7 of 33 matches

Software Name: RealDownload
    Software Supplier: RealNetworks
    Software Website: http://www.realnetworks.com
    Offending Party: Internal
    Remarks: The problem is with the default configuration. Read about the behavior of this program at The Anatomy of File Download Spyware at GRC.com.
    ................................................................................

Search Results

Previous Next
    Back to record list
    Record 43 of 70 matches

Software Name: America Online (AOL)
    Software Website: http://www.aol.com
    Offending Party: Internal
    Remarks: A computer that has AOL installed generates a calling to proxy.aol.com whether signed on to AOL ISP or not. Currently this is being investigated by different security.coms.
    Entry Date: 14-May-2002
    EULA:

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, you can certainly try alternative viewers, but, the Nascar site is not just using any version of RealPlayer, it's using RealOne Player, which has the software necessary to authenticate the $ubscriptions needed to view that media. The media feeds at the Nascar site are all pay now. As far as I know, there are no other working players that can integrate into the pay service there now. :doubt:

As much as I'd like to view the media feeds on that site myself, I refuse to install any of the recent Real software applications. If you find out that these alternatives will work, please let me know, too. :)

4. Peaches4U

I checked the anti-spyware sites again and a search could not find anything on Real Player One - maybe they have cleaned up their act and are okay nowo_Oo_O??

Real Player 7 & 8 - confirmed to have spyware.

Windows Player 9 - under investigation

5. enigma

enigma Registered Member

Hi to Peaches4U & LowWaterMark,
    Read the privicy policies at both links and they were vague. When i read that "we sometimes allow 3 party agenties (sp) to get info from them, that sends up the red flags for me. However i am thankful for your suggestions.
    I used AOL for a short time. As i became more knowledgeable about spyware i dumped AOL for ATT. NET. It actually took a registry cleaner to get rid of all of AOL. I have found that Att has a "track new member js." HTML that they use to........well...track new members! I have called tech and i guess its going to be there no matter what. Im not overly parinoid but i DONT like being tracked! I found it using NSW to clean up after i was on the net. Its there every time. Oh well....what can a person do? Right?
    Again, thanks to you all for the info.

6. Peaches4U

Privacy policy for Macromedia: I could be wrong but think the only area of real concern would be DoubleClick cookies ... these can be blocked under 3rd party cookies. Mine are blocked most successfully as even some newspaper sites use Doubleclick. If you have SpywareBlaster installed, these cookies will also be blocked by this software.
    Anything that is free, is not really 100% free as a certain amount of privacy must be given up in exchange. As for Quicktime, I say shame on Apple Computers if they place spyware - could not find it on the spyware list on the anti-spyware site. However, the final decision is up to you.... Good luck. LWM what is your opinion on this privacy policy?

How Macromedia will protect your personal information
    Macromedia will always protect the personal information that you share with us. Macromedia stores information internally in a controlled, secure environment. If, for example, you make a purchase online, we route all transactions through SSL (Secure Socket Layers) and will process your credit card number only to secure your current payment. The SSL transaction does not retain your credit card number subsequent to the transaction at hand and will not use the number for marketing purposes.

We occasionally hire other companies to provide limited services on our behalf, including packaging, mailing and delivering purchases, answering customer questions about products or services, sending postal mail and processing event registration. We will only provide those companies the information they need to deliver the service, and they are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose.

If Macromedia requests general demographic information, this information is limited to reporting purposes only; members remain anonymous. Phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and postal addresses are never shared for demographic reports with outside entities.

Macromedia may occasionally present a special contest or promotion that is sponsored by another company. To qualify for entry, we may ask you to provide personal information. If we plan to share that information with the sponsor(s), we will provide an up-front statement to that effect.

Though we make every effort to preserve user privacy, we may need to disclose personal information when required by law wherein we have a good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with a current judicial proceeding, a court order or legal process served on our website.

Product Activation and Privacy
    Macromedia products may require activation in order to authenticate licensed users. The Macromedia Product Activation System does not collect or utilize personal information, such as your name and contact information, and does not associate activation data with registration data. For more details, visit the Macromedia Product Activation Center.

DoubleClick Web Advertising Server
    We use an outside ad company, DoubleClick, to serve ads on our Web site. Information about your visits to this site, such as number of times you have viewed an ad (but not your name, address, or other personal in-formation), is used to serve ads to you. In the course of serving advertisements to this site, DoubleClick may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser. For more information about DoubleClick, cookies, and how to "opt-out", please click here.

Contact us
    How to update your personal information and preferences
    You can help Macromedia maintain the accuracy of your personal information by notifying us when you change your name, address, title, phone number, e-mail address, or your content preferences. If at any time you wish to update your information or preferences, or you prefer to stop receiving communication from Macromedia, feel free to contact us at any time.

Macromedia Privacy Contacts Online www.macromedia.com/membership/
    E-mail privacy@macromedia.com
    Postal Mail Macromedia
    Attn: Privacy
    600 Townsend Street
    San Francisco, CA 94103
    USA
    If you change your e-mail or postal address, please contact Macromedia. In order to make the appropriate corrections, please include both your old and new address.

Macromedia would like to receive your comments and questions about this Privacy Policy
    Please address comments or questions regarding the Macromedia Privacy Policy to one of the addresses listed above (online, e-mail, or postal mail). Macromedia may occasionally update, amend, or change this Privacy Policy based on user feedback and as needed or appropriate. If we decide to materially change our privacy policy, we will post those changes to this privacy statement, and will e-mail the information to our users so that they are always aware of what information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we disclose it. We will use information in accordance with the privacy policy under which the information was collected. Users will always have a choice as to whether or not we use their information in accordance with, and in respect to, the posted privacy policy. If users have opted out of all communication with the site, or deleted/deactivated their account, then they will not be contacted.

Links
    Macromedia websites may contain links to other sites. Macromedia assumes no responsibility for the content or the privacy policies and practices of such websites. Macromedia encourages you to read the privacy statements of these linked sites; their privacy practices may differ from ours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.