Real life data transfer speeds with wireless Hard Disk?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by aigle, Nov 20, 2015.

1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I recently bought this hard drive.

http://us.toshiba.com/accessories/storage/canvio-wireless-hdd/1-tb/HDTU110XKWC1

I prefereed it over WD My Passport Wireless as I got it real cheap compared to WD one.

I am using it with a windows tablet capable of wireless n and my andoid phone( also capable of wireless n). My 4G router is wirless n capable as well.
    I checked data transfer speed to the hard disk the best speed I could get was about 1.4 Mb per second MB per second. That looks very very slow with wireless n. Thinking I just wasted money on this wireless thing. Trying to return it or will just use it s an ordinary USB external HD.

I was just curious. Is there something wrong with my set up? Is this the real life data transfer speed with such devices? Anyone has some personal experience with these devics?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

If going through your 4G router, that may be your problem. You did not say which router but note it says here,
    Those speeds are still better than your reported 1.5Mbps, but not by much.

Do you have a friend or relative with a similar network where you can try this drive?

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Bill, actually my network is un-related here. As I connected directly to my hard disk,s Wifi via my tablet n phone. All of these are wireless n. ( Nothing to do with my router). The data transfer speed was at best 1.4 MB/ sec.

I tried a different set up. While my phone and tablet were connected to my 4G network( all wireless n), I tried data transfer from my tablet to android phone via esexplorer( I can access user folders of my windows tablet via LAN option in ESexplore-- something like smb share --- not really expert here). I tried copy and paste some data and speed was same as above. So I guess this is the max speed of my wireless n network. Far low than expected theoretical speed.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTY I am talking about megabytes per second, not megabits.

5. Bill_Bright

That is ALWAYS the case. Ideal conditions only happen in test labs and dreams.

That said, MBps vs Mbps is 8x better. Because so many variables affect wireless bandwidth, it is hard to tell if this is a problem with your drive, or just your wireless environment without trying your drive in a different environment (or another similar drive in yours).

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I doubt there are any faults with my set up as I get almost same speed with two different set up. Seems this is the real world speed with my network and gadgets. I was thinking to wait for a wireless ac capable wireless hard drive but after this experience I doubt I will consider even a wireless ac capable HD, unless something better comes out.

7. Bill_Bright

If you need to buy new, I would get AC just for future proofing. But I don't see any reason to ditch 11n devices just to get 11ac - especially if there are other bottlenecks that will prevent taking advantage of AC's potentials.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You are right. I have not come across any wirelss ac HD so far. Wirelss ac is still rare. I think I will stick to wired data transfer ( USB) at the moment, unless I fail to return this thing. Atleast it has a USB port to be used as an ordinary USB 3 ext hard disk.

9. Bill_Bright

And your USB port is 3.0 too?

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Not yet but hopefully soon.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.