real alternative to acronis ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by usernew, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usernew

usernew Registered Member

hi I'm a new kid on the block ..
    I was chosing a backup program ..
    I really need one option from acronis .. the ability to not restore all the full image , but only a part of it..
    acronis can do this but is not realiable..
    It seems that shadowprotect CAN'T do this , am I right ? (btw how can I have a demo of the recovery environment ?)
    fd-isr can do it by anchoring ..
    what other backup software can do that ?
    thx

2. AussieSym

AussieSym Registered Member

I have been using ShadowProtect for ages, and yes you can restore single files, folders, volumes or system volumes. With their Hardware Independent Restore Technology, you can even rebuild the entire system volume to the same, different or a virtual server really fast.

To open up an image, you will need to mount the image (follow the EXPLORE BACKUP wizards) and it opens up straight away. In fact, using ShadowProtect you are even able to backup data and databases every 15 minutes throughout the day and restore files from any of those 15 minute incremental backups.

StorageCraft has even included Self-'Healing of incremental image chain. If the last image is destroyed or deleted, ShadowProtect will create a new differential image to help ensure image and backup integrity. I love it - it has saved by bacon more than once!

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Not clear what you mean by Acronis can't do this. If you make a full image and only want to restore part of the image you simply mount the image and copy back the bits you want - no problem. what do you want to do that Acronis can't do ?

4. usernew

what is this Hardware Independent Restore Technology ?

what I mean is that I want to restore the full system partition except for some folders that have to remain the same ..
    this usually can't be done by simply mounting an image and copy/paste files and folders, cause you can't change the core system files of a live system ..

as I told before acronis 11 should do it, even if it's not reliable.
    I don't know if shadowprotect can.. maybe using the boot cd that I don't have ..

let me know guys

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If the folders have to remain the same, do they change at all. I don't believe any of the imaging programs allow excluding folders on restore.

I know of two solutions.

1. If you change something in the folder that is critical re image the system.
    2. Use something like FDISR archives so you can restore an older image, and use FDISR to bring system current.

I do both.

Pete

PS. I use ShadowProtect, but Acronis works reliably for you both of the above options work.

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

You can restore using the recovery CD.

7. usernew

would be good , but how can I obtain a demo of it ?

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Here you can get : ShadowProtect Desktop v3.0 = $79.95 :eek:
    http://www.storagecraft.com/products/ShadowProtectDesktop/
    Request FULL EVALUATION, not the 30-day free trial.

After receiving an email, you can download an iso-file.
    Burn that iso-file on a quality CD.
    This CD has a double purpose :
    1. Recovery CD
    2. Installation CD for ShadowProtect Desktop under Windows.
    Two-in-one. Keep in mind that this is also a 30-day trial version, but can be also used as the paid version, when you have your license key.
    The software needs to be activated, but according my tests the activation is OK now and pretty good and fair.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  9. Peter2150

But even with Shadow Protect you can't exclude folders on a restore from an image.

Your safest bet still is when something in those folders changes, reimage. Then you are safe.

10. ErikAlbert

Are these system folders and which ones ?
    I keep all my system folders unchanged, in fact the whole system partition.
    That's why I don't backup my system partition so often.
    My system doesn't change all the time, my data changes every day.

11. usernew

yes.. even with the boot cd folders can't be excluded in the restore ..
    I have to operate in a different way ..
    anyone know any other imaging prg that can do it .. excluding acronis 11, fd-isr and rollback-fx ?
    I noticed that when I backup from the boot cd I can lock partition, what does it means ? I get a better image ?

12. Peter2150

Maybe if you explain a bit why you have to operate in a different way. No imaging program I know of will allow you to exclude folders on restore.

Why can't you just image when something in those folders change?

13. usernew

what I need to do is to add some data folders over a restore of the system partition ... data that are taken from the "going to be restored" system partition ..
    data anchoring from fd-isr can do that as well as the latest acronis but I don't want to use them both for some other reasons

14. ErikAlbert

I never put "data" in my system partition[C:], which is the most attacked partition by malware.
    I store my "data" in my data partition[D:].
    Whatever I restore in my system partition, it will never change my data partition.

You are trying to solve something with your Image Backup software, because you didn't separate your data from system.
    If you have only one harddisk, create two partitions and your problem is fixed.
    1. System Partition [C:] = Windows + Applications
    2. Data Partition [D:] = any kind of personal data, downloaded files, email, email-address-books, etc. ... all your hard work.

15. usernew

not so simple ...
    data means even personal windows tweaks ..

16. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

The convenience of them separated is also with imaging.generally if this is the case your C:\ is small.i have 13,3 gig with FDISR on it,my second int. disk has 60 gig. on it. I image only C:\ which take 6.04 min. backup+restore in one sweep wich SP. But then i am on a highend workstation.

17. ErikAlbert

Of course, this separation has many advantages, I enjoyed this separation from the beginning.

18. ErikAlbert

Personal windows tweaks are stored in an image during backup and can be restored at any time.
    I also have alot of tweakings, I always get them back when I restore my system partition, including any configuration (settings) of all my softwares installed in my system partition.

19. Peter2150

Well, I am still not sure exactly what you are trying to do, but the bottom line is you can't select folders from a restore from imaging software. You restore the whole image.

One thing I do and this may be getting at what you are asking: I have two machines, and they are configured identically as far as my business software is concerned. I have identified locations of all my data, outpost files, backups etc, and I sync them to an external drive, and from there to the other computer. I do this every evening, and in the morning, I could actually start all my business activites on either machine. So...

If for some reason I had a system problem on one machine, and had to restore an image that was say a week old, and I didn't have FDISR, then I'd have a system and data a week old. What I'd then do is sync the data back from the external drive, and be back current.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about. If not try explaining more specifically if you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.