Read error while backing up good drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Secure1, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Secure1

Secure1 Registered Member

I have an Ubuntu Linux machine that I'm trying to back up with the TrueImage build 3567 boot disc.

When partitions are checked TI displays error "Failed to read from the sector 76,180,230 of the hard disk 1" (and many subsequent sectors).

(If I ignore the error) During the backup "E000101F4 Failed to read data from the sector 72,254,357" (and many subsequent sectors).

Ubuntu seems to run great, no errors, even when disks are checked (every 30 boots). Partitions are ext3. Any idea how I can get the backup to work?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I know less than zero about Ubuntu but are there switches that can be used with the disk checking utility that causes a more in-depth check than what is happening now?

3. Secure1

I'm afraid I'm a Linux newb... I ran fsck, but don't know the switches and can't understand the man page on fsck. I'm running Western Digital Diagnostics now, booted from Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.

Interesting tidbit, WD Diags lists the sectors as 1-72,037,361. That's a lower number than the sectors that TI errors on... ?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

What does the BIOS see the drive size as? Does multiplying any of the max sector numbers by 512 come close (I'm not sure how close they should be)?
    How does any of this compare with the advertised (size stated on the box) drive size?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Secure1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

First of all, please download and install the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3677.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your computer from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem persists with Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please check each partition of your hard drive by any disk checking utility available.

If there are no file system errors or bad blocks\sectors on this disk then try unplugging all unneeded storage devices (e.g. external hard drives, Flash drives, card readers, etc.) prior to booting from Bootable Rescue CD.

If that does not help either then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;

- Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;

- Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;

- Boot the computer having the issue from this beforehand created diskette and wait for the report creation process to finish;

- Collect the report file from the floppy.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the report.txt file collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

6. Secure1

Problem resolved. I read something on the Ubuntu Linux forum that said there was a slight bug in the Ubuntu partitioner that could cause partition corruption under some circumstances.

Even though no errors resulted from running disk check utilities, I deleted the partitions and recreated them using gparted (a different utility, not Ubuntu's) and reinstalled. Now Acronis backs up all the partitions successfully. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.