Re-scanning quarantined files after an update and scanning a file in quarantine

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by sg09, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Does ESET re-scans quarantine files? It did a false detection few days ago that I reported. That FP was corrected promptly but I was not notified until I restored that file from quarantine and scanned it. So,
    Is there any settings for rescanning quarantined files after an update and scanning a quarantined file without restoring it?

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you think a particular file was detected in error (FP), you can restore it manually. It would be dangerous to do it automatically as the antivirus itself might restore actual threats automatically without user's knowledge.

3. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Hi Macros, suppose a friend send me a file saying it is good but I have no idea about that file. I download that file and ESET alerted and quarantined that file. As I have no idea, I thought that may be a virus and I send that file for analysis to ESET lab. Now how would I suppose to know if that is a FP?
    Option 1: After analysis ESET finds this as FP and eliminates that definition. After an update ESET scans quarantine files and alerts to restore the file which is analyzed as safe. No automatic restoration and as ESET already analysed them as safe it can't be malicious unless ESET does further mistake ;). (Emsisoft has similar feature)
    Option 2: I manually scan the file present in quarantine by right clicking on it from ESET GUI, provided I am still interested in that file but don't have enough faith on that file. (Avast, Emsisoft has similar feature)
    Option 3: I have some faith on that file and I restore it on quarantine and scan it further with ESET and may be also in Virustotal etc.

ESET doesn't provide first two options and the third option myself and may be many others do not consider as safest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.