Re:Kerio personal firewall 4.04 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by AAP, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AAP

AAP Registered Member

Hello,To all

Would anyone know if it would be a good idea
    to use this one in place of 2.1.5 or should i stay
    with what is working good for me

Good luck :D

Hi,Paul

2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I go to my testing os with 4.0.3 currently installed, and I get a prompt that says I have two days left in my trial, please goto www.kerio.com, yes '.com' for more information... What information?!?! How Kerio doesn't know what they are doing?

They have failed to list it on the English website even after four updates, and if they still don't consider it 'full version' software why not remove the trial period for those testing features when they consider it beta software? They must consider it beta for not listing it on the English website, and with the history of these updates, they mirror beta release updates.

----------
    Two versions of Kerio Personal Firewall are available: full (paid) and freeware (free of charge).

The same installation package is used for both version. After installation the product behaves as a 30-days trial version (full version limited by time). If the product is not registered by the expiration date, it becomes freeware. The product becomes a full version after license purchase and product registration (for detailed information refer to chapter “Registration” ).

Freeware versions are limited by the following restrictions:

It is available for personal and/or noncommercial use only.

Web content filtering, including its logs and statistics, is not available (see chapter Chapter ).

It cannot be used at Internet Gateways (refer to chapter “Preferences” )

Logs cannot be sent to Syslog server (details in chapter“Log Options” ).

It cannot be used on server type operating systems, such as Windows NT Server, Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003. If the trial version was installed on any of these systems, the Personal Firewall Engine service will be disabled by the expiration date and it will not be able to restore it.
    ----------

Not treating their so-called 'full release' beta testers not very well, are they? What if they are running a server os? I guess its just 'too bad' for them?

4.04 hasn't had any major improvements, and I find they have not fixed any real bugs that have been around since the beta releases. Its not worth downloading unless your running 4.03...

3. JayK

JayK Poster

Changes since 4.0.3:
    - improved performance of webfilter
    - fixed webfilter on Win 9x,ME

+ added instant response when user clicks "Check now" button in

This one is pretty critical, without this it's irriating like heck, in older versions. With this fixed, i'm happy.

BTW while not liking the feel of this new kerio, it works fine for me. There is some whining about how the logs work with IDS, the "&" bug etc, and some people with multi-processors not working , but for me, a home-user not running servers, and who cares nothing about web-filtering it's servicable.

Of course, if you are a big time expert like our blitzZeus here, I'm certain you can find things to complain about, some of which is critical if you spend hours analyzing logs but for me and probably most people who are not trying to do something cutting edge , it's stable enough.

4. BlitzenZeus

JayK,

If your happy running the program, then it seems you don't have high expectations of the program which is to be as good as previous program when the developer says 'its ready', which it clearly isn't where it is now for many other people. The fact its not on any website other than the Czech site proves that, www.kerio.com, and www.kerio.nl both don't have it listed. They don't offer support other than bug reports currently.

When the settings in a firewall say they will log an event I expect them to log an event, and this was not a problem in 2.1.5 which the Tiny team originally wrote. If you have rules that block ports from any application they will never log, and forget about alerting, it doesn't work either. This is the fourth 'full release' update, and to not even have logging and alerting working correctly. If your firewall doesn't log events correctly, how are you supposed to know what it really is allowing, and blocking? Just because you think it working correctly doesn't mean it is..

If your not going to get 'technical', research, and then report bugs in the program, don't even criticize those that do. That next update fixes problems reported by others users so you won't have them in the future. If we used your theory of 'it works for me', then I guess everybody else's problems don't matter unless they directly effect your install, and configuration of the program.

Some people like 4x currently, however most have gone back to 2x, or the firewall they were previously running with how many problems it still has.

5. JayK

JayK Poster

So you think we should use your theory, that is if it doesn't work for you (rather it lacks something you need), the whole thing is a wreck, and nobody should even try it?

As i said i'm no techno geek, but the logging problems we are talking about are only a matter of priority and the way kerio displays them. I suppose if you are a techno geek who must have the logging down to your slightest whim it's a big problem. To me it's not a big deal.

Clearly Blitzen you wield a vast influence over the hordes of "use and forget" firewall users who listen to your every word.

It seems to me , you are too hard on Kerio. Frankly a lot of your complains about kerio is due to the lack of organisation of their website, this shouldnt have any bearing of the issue of whether to use kerio.

Why not trying to explain to the newbies like me, what exactly is lacking in the current Kerio release. I'm talking about actual bugs not complains about kerio site not updating ,speculation about betas/finals etc.

I've looked at your posts about Kerio 4 and all i see is....that you think

1) it looks like ZA which is horrible (I agree)

and

2) It's "piggy" compared to Kerio 2, which I agree but is understandable.

But some people might actually like 1) . And 2) is a result of additonal modules.

I'm guessing "problems" 1 and 2 is unlikely to disappear even with more development, so I guess you will never recommend Kerio 4 ever?

6. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Um... Well, BlitzenZeus's first post was quite to the point and appropriate but the thread has since denigrated into rather pointless and childish wrangling. If you folks want to get back on track with the pros and cons of the product's respective versions that would be greatly appreciated by all. If, however, you want to continue making sarcastic comments on the who has the greater "following" you will both be dissappointed as the thread will be locked and you will each have fewer readers to hang on your words :D

Regards,

Dan

7. BlitzenZeus

I don't suggest anyone run the software unless they are willing to accept it as beta software in its current form, from reading multiple forums, and my own testing, there are just too many bad reports of many different issues to suggest people run this instead of a stable release of a another firewall.

If Kerio wanted people everywhere to start downloading it for normal use, they would have listed it on all their websites by now, which they have not, and they have done that for a reason. Recently they pulled the earlier releases from the beta section, and didn't replace them with any new releases of 4x. Their web teams know what they are doing, their development teams don't, which is why its 4.04, and still not listed on the website.

Needless to say, but don't run it on any critical machines you have. I run a dual boot, so its easier to test programs, and keep a normal operating system.

When its released on the main website it will probably be ready to be released for most people, and not until then.

8. JayK

JayK Poster

Why not trying to explain to the newbies like me, what exactly is lacking in the current Kerio release. I'm talking about actual bugs not complains about kerio site not updating ,speculation about betas/finals etc.

That was What I was trying to do, but it seems *some* prefer to only talk about website organisation espically in light of my request to do so , all I get is a repeated message along the lines of "it's beta, and the website doesn't list it" ;)

That's a rather sarcastic remark, given that I freely concede Blitzenzeus is a "firewall god" compared to me and I don't have a "following" (except my cat) at all. :D

Regards,

Dan

9. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Kerio is one of the major personal firewalls I haven't tried so I do not have much particular info to offer to the thread (sarcastic remarks notwithstanding :D :D :D ). But my experience with Tiny is that they forced too soon the release of ver 5, making it seem that it was a stable and reliable release when it was in fact a beta (at first a highly unstable and unreliable one) yet they were selling it as if it were a final. This sort of thing can be dangerous for endusers who may not notice the discrepancy.

My reading of BlitzenZeus is that Kerio's newer release may well be along similar lines (though no doubt not as bad as the case was with Tiny) and going back to AAP's original post, such a concern is appropriate to the initial question.

Regards, <---- not meant sarcastically :D

Dan

[ Late Edit - Lol, I wish I had read the other thread first, but to round out this thread please refer to BlitzenZeus's post here

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=14259 ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.