Re-installing the Microcode Update Device

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Close_Hauled, Jul 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

I made the mistake of deleting the Microcode Update Device from the device manager. Now I am trying to re-install it without any success. I tried to scan for hardware changes, but with no success. I am running Windows XP Home.

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

*bump*

Close_Hauled, just bumping this to see if anyone can help.

TAS

3. Close_Hauled

Thanks for the bump. Fixing this will wrap up repairing my system from a major crash.

Close Hauled

Last edited: Jul 7, 2004
  4. Close_Hauled

Bumping again.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

See if this page can help.

Microcode

6. Close_Hauled

Ronjor;

Thanks again. After reading these two articles, I don't think that I have too much to worry about.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288302

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307152

I was in the device manager and I saw a yellow caution icon over the Microcode Update Device. I tried to reinstall the driver and tried to update it, but it wouldn't. So like a dummy, I deleted it and it would not come back like I thought. So then I read this article;

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ry/en-us/dnembedded/html/embedded09262002.asp

And naturally panicked that I had accidently killed something that I need. But now I am starting to think that I am OK because I have the latest BIOS from Intel.

Close Hauled

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Windows can cause panic at times!!:D

Description of the Microcode Update Device

If the computer that you are using does not contain the processor described in the "Summary" section of this article, or if your BIOS is up to date with Intel's latest microcode, the Microcode Update device is not initiated; the device is unloaded to free up resources. Device Manager marks the device with a code 24 status message:

The device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.

If the microcode on your computer is current, the drivers are unloaded by design. In this case, the code 24 status message is expected, and it does not indicate a problem. The device is marked as hidden and is not visible by default. Therefore, when the code 24 status message occurs, the message is not displayed when you are using the default configuration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.