Re:Anti-Trojan discontinued (question from notageek)

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by notageek, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

If a trojan is set on you computer to collect data it has to call out to send the data . Right?

2. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

It depends :).

If its a destructive trojan that just slowly compromise your data, not :). But in general they steal data so it has to send it, yes.

3. notageek

And if it sends out data my firewall will tell me if it's trying to access the internet.

4. Andreas Haak

Andreas Haak Guest

I will let you in your belief :).

5. notageek

I think it's more likely someone will get spyware thans a trojan.

6. notageek

Maybe I'll buy trojan remover. :)

7. subratam

subratam Registered Member

ya man trojan remover is great it updates itself very often... and a nice one

8. notageek

Yes and it's at a nice price.

9. sig

sig Registered Member

One's computing practices determine the likelihood of risking an encounter a trojan or malware of some sort. So while there is some risk, it may be high or low depending on what one does. Of course, the only way to be completely risk free regarding computer malware of some sort is to not use a computer at all. ;)

Also, while many common trojans likely would be caught by a firewall with decent outbound app control/monitoring, the existence of trojans that would not be detected by ordinary firewalls is not just a hypothetical possibility. My impression is that these fellows can operate at a level below that of the firewall and thus their activity is not detected. (Any clarification or further exposition from someone more technically adept in this field would be appreciated of course since mine is a layperson's rather imprecise impression.)

So again, the issue is what is the likelihood of one's practices resulting in such a trojan finding its way to your PC? As with other software measures, the firewall is not an absolute means of protection. But this and other measures as well as the operator's level of "cluefulneess" can minimize risks.

10. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

why should one buy trojan remover? it hasn't got any unpacking-support, can't detect polymorph trojans, has weak signatures etc.
    just because of the price? (which is imho way to high for the value yout get...)
    they don't even have enough resources to test their software under windows 2000... have they enough to keep up with the trojan writers? i don't think so...

11. notageek

LOL I was recommended to Trojan Remover by a friend. I also notice a few others over the gladiator forum uses it and swears by it. For 25 bucks and free lifetime updates and ugrades you can't beat that price. Maybe they didn't test it under windows 2000 because they thought it would be pointless. I don't know. What makes you think they don't have enough writers to keep up with trojans? How do you know for a fact they don't have enough writers to keep up with trojans? I didn't see anything about not having enough writers on their web page. Let me ask you something fish. Have you ever tried Trojan remover?

12. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

have you ever heard about firewall bypass? or dll injection? i have lot of trojan samples in my collection that can bypass most firewalls out there
    that is false sense of security, even more dangerous than an insecure system...

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Notageek, i'd almost say look at test results and reviews if there are with those, but as the word alone can start flamewars i don't recommend them (would not know them with t.r. included)
    So listen to the advices of the people in this forum, the ones who know what they talk about, the people who try to be as objective and informative as possible, people who know you and love and respect you as a forum member and have nothing to gain from you or with (unintentionally of course) wrong advices.

But if you want one program so bad and help yourself with another for the price, you will still have the feeling of being more or less incomplete.
    So save your money till you're really sure, and by putting coins (start with the $25 at once you wanted to use for the t.r. anyway!) aside you might discover once you finished shopping around and testing on your own system the several products you meet all of a sudden with counting the pennies you have finally enough for the one you really really wanted in the first place.
    In the mean time there might be a contest to win, never know.
    So do take your time! Most certainly with several new programs so close around the corner!

14. peter.ewido

notageek: want a stealthed trojan that t.r. can't detect? just tested it, takes only 10 seconds :D (was btw. hard to find a trojan to modify that is detected by t.r. ;))

15. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

hey all trojans can be modified so that no scanner detects them, i mean NO scanner.

it's not even difficult to do, i mean even i can do it

16. peter.ewido

but some scanners do a much better job in detecting modified trojans than others do...

17. JayK

JayK Poster

And the ones trying to sell you something.......... :)

18. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Haven't you seen Paul's message in the 5000th member thread he might contact Bill Gates for the 25000th member for a contribution from him?
    So either to hope for some smaller in between contests and happy users winning something they really really hoped for or the most fabulous spree ever seen on the whole internet at that occasion, whatever.
    Maybe the Uguel song contest could offer something nice, anyway keep looking in the forums for contests or organise them yourself after asking permission to the admins of course!
    Oh and JayK, once you surf to that place (on top in General) scroll a little lower to the first message in this thread in case you need a few clear answers.

19. notageek

Fish, I don't want a Trojan that TR didn't catch but maybe you can submit it to them. If people submit trojans to AT companies it might be lot of help to them .

As for dll injections. I think a few firewalls check for them. ;) Also I'm sure there's other programs that one can put on their computer for that type of stuff.

Hi Jooske, I haven't really made up my mind on an AT yet. It's a big choice to make. There's a few good ones to choices from. :)

TR is not a bad AT and if people are careful and have a little knowledge about security, they could get by using TR. Just like AV's you might be abole to get by useing 2 AT's. One resident and one on demand. :)

20. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Take your time, might give families an idea what to put under the christmas tree for you :)
    So don't decide definitely before that and it's only a few weeks to bridge.
    In the meantime happy trialing and keep it safe!

21. notageek

Thanks Jooske. :)

22. peter.ewido

submitting won't help... trojan remover doesn't have an unpacking engine... should i pack the trojan with hundreds of packers with different options and then send all the samples? and because of how they make their signatures it's impossible to detect "polymorph" trojans like donalddick... you see... this is an engine that shouldn't be used in security-related programs...

23. notageek

OH OK. I see now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.