RE: 10 characteristics of a Linux Guru?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

What defines a Linux ninja? Are those the command line skills? Is it the chivalrious behaviour and knightlike gallantry when faced with ignorance? Is it familiarity with web services or maybe a deep understanding of the kernel?

Well, here's an article written in response to an original piece called 10 characteristics of a Linux guru, debating the ups and downs of being a leader in Linux, what it is and how it ought to be. My paper challenges the claims and then adds a few of its own. While written with a humor-flavored attitude, it is by all means food for thought.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linux-guru.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Quote begins...
    9. Uses the term noob to describe anyone using Ubuntu.

Furthermore, the Guru refers to Ubuntu as oonoobtu. The idea to humiliate anyone who does not wish to work too hard configuring his/her printer from the command line and takes the easy way out by running a distro that can actually function properly after about only 30 minutes. While many distributions offer that, Ubuntu is singled out for being just too sugary.
    Quote ends...

This is Mrk warming up for the release of Lucid next week and his subsequent, expected, scathing review. He's obviously trying out a new insult here...."sugary" (even though other distros do the same thing). :ouch: ....that hurt, Mrk. I'm trying my best to brace/steel myself for the inevitable panning...:'( .

This so reminds me of that old adage....an irresistible force (Ubuntu) meeting an immovable object (Mrk).

See I've got a sense of humor, too. ;). Hope everyone can appreciate it....if you know what I mean.

Later....

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Yep this noob here uses Ubuntu, thats a hoot, started my life with Unix and am gonna end with it, have been running all kinds of distros, went through the ritual of compiling Gentoo, dutifully compiling the latest kernel on SuSE, in the end probably getting senile and low on gray area so I use sweet and sugary Ubuntu, no 007 Gila monster for me..........no Ms. Moneypenny or M either ;)

This is me warming up for equally scathing retort of the anticipated scathing review on Lucid. I forgot to add, would be trying out Gigolo as well on Xubuntu ;) time to go out and get the rich ladies for me.

A real accomplished Ninja will use Gentoo customized to perfection, not some silly half baked, horribly buggy and low on totem pole green monster.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

trespasser, actually I never referred to Ubuntu in any other spelling form.
    Oh, I actually find Lucid to be quite decent ...
    Mrk

5. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Better get on my 1337 hat and install Arch again or better maybe Linux from scratch! Who needs the stability of RHEL/CentOS?

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

all linux are unique some + some - and above all long term users (fans i mean :D )

redhat/centos/scientific linux lacks because of old gnome/kde look but rhel 6 looking very promising on this field

gnome 2.28.0
    and kde 4.3

both seems very stable on fedora 12 till now

one biggest drop back of fedora is life cycle

cant wait to get my hands on centos 6 /scientific linux hope it gonna be one of best desktop distro like ubuntu and suse for daily use with long term support :thumb:

hope to see mrk review on rhel beta 6 very soon :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.