RCD - Linux vs WinPE

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Sandunes, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Sandunes

Sandunes Registered Member

Has Paragon made any improvements in the Linux version of the RCD in the last year or two?

Anyone have a list of differences between the two?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The main advantage of the Linux RD is that is very easy to build it. If you install the main Paragon program, you have the Linux ISO file. Now there is an x64 ISO to build media for UEFI systems. You don´t need Recovery Media Builder, Boot Media Builder, WinRE, WAIK or WADK.

And the main disadvantage is that it´s not possible to add drivers to the Linux RD. It either works or doesn´t work in a specific computer.

3. Sandunes

Sandunes Registered Member

That is too bad. I thought some linux builds, like Knoppix, would run on almost any hardware?

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes. However I think the requirement is for an OS version that does not need to use the HD and is ideally memory-resident. I doubt there is any new hardware that is released without at least a Windows driver.

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Of course, the Linux RCD should work in the vast majority of computers. I tried the x64 version with HDM 14 and it worked well in a 4-year desktop and in a new UEFI+GPT laptop with Secure Boot enabled.

What I tried to say was that if it doesn´t work in a specific computer, you are not able to try to correct the problem by adding drivers manually.

6. John Doe Genius

John Doe Genius Registered Member

I have never succeeded to find the USB disk connected to another computer in the local network when using the Linux RCD. With the WinPE image I have success.

I was astonished, I tried the HDM14 x64 CD (created with BMB) on a 10 years old WinXP x86 computer (where I normally run B&R 12). Unbelievable, it worked like a charm! I could run a backup task directly to the network connected computer with the USB disk! And I could run a x64 program (Total Commander) on this old computer with 1 GB memory.

Another advantage: Paragon's BMB created WinPE image now picks up my local language settings with appropriate keyboard layout. The RMB created image uses en-US settings, and to me it is then difficult to find the colon and the back-slash and so on....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.