RCC - check your system's trusted root certificate store

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by svenfaw, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe you would have to remove the adguard certificate to get a different result when you run RCC

2. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Well At present I trust AdGuard and so won't be doing that, since programs like Bitdefender and Eset use the same technology.

"It's no secret that since version 5.7 Adguard is able to filter secured connections (https).

For proper filtering of secured connections, a mechanism called Man-In-Middle is used. By the way, filtering of secured connections in the popular antiviruses works the same way. E.g: Eset Nod32 and Bitdefender.

For this method to work correctly, Adguard imports its own root certificate in certificate store that your browser uses. If https-connection filtering is enabled, Adguard automatically detects browsers installed on your computer and installs the root certificate in their stores.

The problem is that we can’t define location of the portable-browser. Therefore, for the portable-versions of browsers using its own certificate store, such as Firefox and Opera 12 and its previous versions, we have to use workarounds."

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

4. boredog

boredog Registered Member

EMET does not work on my system.

~ Removed Off Topic Remarks ~

I sure remember the old debates about hardware rootkits here, and all we got was it is a POC now look at all that HAS happened in the past 5 yeARS. Stop fear mongering!!!
    Well it is here and it is here to stay !!! my friends.

The old remedy was to reformat and as you know that don't work now. If you get hit by one of these all you can do is burn your entire computer and buy a new one and hope even that has not been compromised. Right?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  5. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

6. flatfly

flatfly Registered Member

Not sure what EMET has to do with this thread?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Thee is no need for work arounds for firefox or chrome/opera (chromium forkes). at least those root store are saver than this vulnerable mitm rubbish. also there exists an investigation that almost all security products are somehow vulnerable themselves.

cheers

8. itman

itman Registered Member

No activity for its Wilders thread in over a month. Also web site download link is off-line.

Someone shut it down?

9. Cactus5

Cactus5 Registered Member

@svenfaw I would very much like to download a new version of RCC. I tried to download some time ago and the status was moving. Now it's just gone. Is there a new place to get RCC? Hope you are well.

10. svenfaw

svenfaw Registered Member

Hi, I'd love to give a better answer but it's not available for download at this time, I'm afraid. Hopefully I'll be able to share some more information soon.

11. Cede

Cede Registered Member

Please post the word "Donkey" if you are not under a legal obligation to withhold the information.

12. svenfaw

Rest assured it's nothing of the sort.

13. svenfaw

RCC is back, with a new build available for download. I will post more info in the next few days. Too many things to do, too little time...

Version: 1.54.241
    SHA1: 4644590cf15ad3f6258cfa03c42f4486020cbdf9

14. Cactus5

@svenfaw, where can this new RCC be downloaded from? The original link in the first post doesn't work. I see no other mention of another site and nothing about it on your blog.

Thanks

15. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

The link worked fine for me..Downloaded and run.

Try this...

http://trax.x10.mx/dl_rcc.php?appname=RCC.exe

Obviously check the sha1.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
  16. haakon

haakon Guest

v1.54.241 working A-OK in Windows 7 HP SP1 x64, including the portable Mozilla cert8.db and nssckbi.dll workaround.

Nice work, svenfaw. :thumb:

17. Cactus5

Thanks @clubhouse1, that worked once I disconnected from my VPN.

18. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Reports "Symantec Enterprise Mobile Root for M" (icrsoft?).

I don't run any Symantec software on my system...

19. girioni

girioni Registered Member

Not sure if relevant, as I don't understand Italian, but a quick Google search turned this up:

https://wikileaks.org/hackingteam/emails/emailid/522525

20. XIII

XIII Registered Member

I'm afraid I don't understand the English translation by Google. Anyone Italian here that can explain what is published there?

Anyone else getting this certificate reported by RCC?

21. itman

itman Registered Member

That cert. is an enterprise cert. used by Windows Phone. Info on how to install it is here: https://knowledge.symantec.com/supp...=content&id=SO20770&actp=RSS&viewlocale=en_US

I assume neither applies to you? Just verify your root CA certs. using certmgr.msc to ensure it's not there. If it is, just delete it if not needed. I am pretty sure this Symantec Root cert. is not part of the standard cert. issue package from MS unless it was added for WIN 10?

22. XIII

XIII Registered Member

I have no Windows Phone and I don't use any Symantec software.

23. svenfaw

See what the insertion time is and cross-match that with software installation timestamps (Programs and Features control panel) to try and find the culprit:

ins.png

Might be worth a shot.

24. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

Thanks for the update.

The name of E13CE7983517E81453BDE6B6840B955CC4B648A0 certificate is wrong, it shows SK but it's trusted ESET SSL Filter CA on windows 10 x64.

With CTInfo 1.20 I get 349 certs (trusted) and 61 untrusted. If I click on 'details' it shows 349, but wouldn't it better to show only the untrusted ones to compare and move this button to the other site, because it is a bit confusing.

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img910/5198/WsZCfH.png

Edit:
    Maybe the possibility to mark specific certs 'trusted' would be good, or an feedback button to report or upload it. Because it's a bit annoying to see legit certs in big red as untrusted, I know they are external but anyway.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  25. XIII

XIII Registered Member

Good suggestion!

Unfortunately unsuccessful: the certificate is reported to be installed installed on July 10, 2015. That's weird because it's on my Windows 10 system that I clean installed after the release of Windows 10 (which was July 29 I believe).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.