Raxco FirstDefense-ISR Professional

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by maddawgz, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Hi do they have a professional version and normal home? thanks MD

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

AFAIK there is only :
    1. FirstDefense-ISR Professional Workstation v3.20 Build 202 = $69.00
    2. FirstDefense-ISR Server = $475.00
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/255461.ihtml

So the home version (also indicated by the price) is :
    FirstDefense-ISR Professional Workstation v3.20 Build 202
    the one I use at home, so I feel like a pro when I use FDISR instead of a newbie.

Also sold under the names : BootBack and Peer-ISR.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=119368

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  3. maddawgz

ok thanks mines
    FirstDefense-ISR Professional (v1.10.173)

guess its bit old does it matter?

4. ErikAlbert

The latest build doesn't use the MBR anymore, its now PBR which is an improvement.
    The latest build is the only build that is compatible with winVISTA.

5. maddawgz

Whats PBR ? what benefit does it have over MBR? thanks EA

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Partition
    Boot
    Record

I'm old fashioned in the sense i too use that older version because there is no way i will ever be migrating to Vista when i already have Vista everything enhanced on my Win XP Pro box. Those other few core internal parts of Vista aren't relative to any real usefullness anyway IMO, plus i prefer to keep the XP software vendors in a job. :cool: Their tireless efforts have secured a place in history for themselves. I have more fun with Windows now then at any other time since the first day of 98, in large part to these developers attention to detail and addressing in their products systems needs perfectly enough to make XP safe.

7. ErikAlbert

The latest build of FDISR wasn't really an improvement for me either, considering the improvements :
    1. Compressed snapshots, which reduces the space with 25%, which I don't need, because I have 70gb for FDISR.
    2. PBR instead of MBR, which I don't really need either.
    3. Compatibility with WinVISTA, I never change to another OS, until I buy another computer and I just bought one.
    These improvements only increase the sale of FDISR.

I'm waiting for other more practical improvements, but the development of FDISR seems to be frozen too, just like my frozen snapshot. To name one improvement : schedules, the worst part of FDISR, but my list is longer. :)

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

One might venture a guess, and thats all it ever could be in todays software world of craze :D , that Leapfrog's FD-ISR researchers are most content with the success of their prize release based on customer satisfaction approval.

BUT! What If? They decided to also fashion some form of imaging technology, either into FD-ISR or break new ground with such a product to rival even SP?

Just some thoughts floating around this head lately, after seeing what HorizDataSys is trying to do along those very lines with their flagship product.

9. ErikAlbert

Keep also in mind that FirstDefense-ISR is NOT such a great recovery software anymore.

1. FDISR could NOT recover my system after executing the very destructive DOS-command "DEL /F /S /Q".
    2. FDISR could NOT recover after executing the "killdisk virus" according other members.

while other similar Immediate System Recovery softwares were able to save your system, like PowerShadow, probably Returnil and ShadowDefender also (not tested by me).
    So the competition is getting better than FDISR.

A combination of "Image Backup" and "Immediate System Recovery" in ONE software, would be nice of course and that is what Horizon Datasys is trying to do with Rollback Rx. :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Very true.....BUT.... not a one will save you if all you have is an old image. Now FDISR with old image and archive is golden. I am playing with Rollback and it's working well with FDISR, but it still can't match FDISR when it comes to the archive recovery aspect.

11. ErikAlbert

I wasn't really talking about RBRx or comparing RBRx with FDISR. RBRx as only software is still not good enough for me.

My point was that FDISR doesn't restore your system as good as other immediate system recovery softwares, which is due to a frozen development.

The reasons why I still keep FDISR are :
    - the possibility of creating different work and test environments
    - the combination with other and better immediate system recovery softwares, which I never tried until now.

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Maybe i dont understand you right,but as a immediate system restore,FDISR never failed me once.And is there any better out there just show me !

13. ErikAlbert

Read post #9.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

In terms off immediate you're right,but what after hardware failure ?? An all in one app.with virtu and FDISR should as already said more complete.But i guess hard to code.

15. maddawgz

Thanks got it in services what should volume shadow copy be set to mine is manual is that right thanks? MD

16. Peter2150

Eric

All the others protect unlike FDISR, because they are deflecting disk activity, which creates other problems. But nothing to say something new we don't know about won't also wipe them out also. But not one of them will allow a recovery starting from windows, the FDISR software, and and archive.

Even Rollback which has solved a lot of it's problems and has an imaging capability really doesn't compare in my opinion.

Pete

17. ErikAlbert

Hardware failures on your system partition harddisk always require and start with an Image Backup software.

Killdisk virus and Delete-command are not hardware failures, both destroy the contents of your harddisk without any physical damage.
    I didn't test the killdisk virus, but I tested the Delete-command and FDISR failed to restore my system, while other softwares were able to restore the system partition according other members. I didn't do these tests myself, because I don't use all these other softwares, but I will when I have the time.

The bottom line is that FDISR isn't as good as some other immediate system recovery softwares. In other words FDISR is getting old and that is normal in case of FDISR, because the development is as good as frozen. :)

18. Peter2150

Okay, name a better one and tell me why. Actually this might better be a new topic in the software forum

19. ErikAlbert

As I said already, I never tested other immediate system recovery software, but I will when I have the time. My conclusion is now based on the reports of other members, who tried these other softwares and ShadowDefender was one of them, maybe Returnil too.

20. Peter2150

I use ShadowDefender, and I like it, and yes it prevents killdisk, but it's not the same kind of software. You can't install anything in it that needs to reboot for install for one thing. Also in a disk crash it's gone.

21. ErikAlbert

Everything is always gone after a disk crash, no matter what you use as immediate system recovery softwares.

22. Peter2150

Okay, but none of the others help you recover from that like FDISR can.

23. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Eric,

You have me a little perplexed. A few weeks ago, I asked the members of this board for some help: you responded.

You absolutely sold me on FDISR. In your answer to my question, you were totally behind and supported this Application. Now you appear to be showing some concern about development of the Application. I do not comprehend that in a few weeks you are showing concern about FDISR, and your confidence in the Application appears to be diminishing, somewhat!

It is to people like you, who have gathered deserved respect, that I look to for assistance. Can you explain your change in attitude towards FDISR?

With much respect,

Marserobert

24. ErikAlbert

When I criticize sofware, I separate problems from one another that have nothing to do with eachother.
    I'm not interested in what works fine, because I consider that as normal. I'm only interested in what doesn't work.

ShadowProtect is an excellent Image Backup software, but its activation sucks.
    What has Image Backup to do with Activation ? NOTHING.
    So when I say SP's activation sucks, doesn't mean that the whole SP sucks.

I do the same with FirstDefense-ISR and certain parts of FDISR suck or could be better.
    Although I would like to use "schedules", I can't use them because there are only time-schedules.
    FDISR doesn't recover my harddisk after DELETE... and Killdisk Virus.
    BUT the advantages of using FDISR are much bigger than the disadvantages of using FDISR and that's why I keep using FDISR and there is no competition of FDISR either.
    The only other software, that works with multiple snapshots is RollbackRx, which has a long history of problems and not all of them are fixed. Wilders has spend HUNDREDS of posts on the problems of RollbackRx.

You don't think like me and when I say some bad things about a software, you think immediately that I recommended the wrong software to you.
    At work, before we decide to BUY a software, our last question is always the same : "Are we going to buy this software in spite of all its disadvantages ?" because there is no perfect software that meets all our wishes.

FDISR changed my computer completely in a very good way. Each time I reboot my computer, I have a clean one.
    Before FDISR my computer was a nightmare and one big mess, not anymore, my computer is now constantly a paradise.
    BUT that doesn't keep me away from criticizing FDISR. :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  25. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

I think maybe we are getting a little spoilt with all the new "Shadow... *.* software coming out, which does indeed seem to be very useful and some say reliable also.
    Doesn't mean that FDISR has become any less valuable. Just that the choice of other types of "recovery/virtualisation" software is becoming greater, which makes the old faithful FDISR maybe less "exciting" now. It is still a very very reliable testing and fail-safe type of program, and it will be hard to find a replacement for what it does, and does so well.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.