RAV - Romanian Anti Virus ___ comments

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by KERANO, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KERANO

KERANO Guest

As we know Microsoft purchased this company a year or more ago.

Microsoft bought and GIANT as well...

Question:

Why they wait to long with releasing RAV under Microsoft name?

They modified GIANT antispyware within 1 month and they could not do it with RAV for more than 1 yearo_Oo_Oo_O??

We all know that RAV was the one that most of Linux servers used to use....

Why Microsoft waith that long and what gonna heppend with RAV in future? It was one of very good AV solutions.

2. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

There has been speculations that Microsoft bought and killed RAV just to get rid of one promising Linux antivirus software.

The price of acquiring RAV (from GeCAD Software) was pocket change to them, so the acquisition could have been for that reason only, who knows.

They surely haven't released anything yet, that's for sure :)

3. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I agree with the above post, I thik they bought them out because they could kill two birds with one stone. One, have a well formed AV product for a low price and study it's inner workings to see how they can modify it for thier companies needs, i.e. Blaster, Sasser, etc. and two, they can snicker at the linux community for few seconds. Just my opinion.

4. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I think I'll use this again:
    "The AV market is also a whole lot bigger, with more "powerful" and long established competitors." Frankly MS has to compete much more effectively, and they also have to be more careful and test the waters as to not "shake the boat." And back when they bought GeCAD, I don't think they actually believed people would be okay with them offering a full-fledged AV (Aren't they using some of what they learned in Longhorn?), but it seems people were okay with it after all (I'm sure MS has done some market research). That's my guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.