RAV AntiVirus Desktop version 8.6 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Technodrome, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

RAV AntiVirus Desktop 8.6 - New Features
    The following new features are available in RAV AntiVirus Desktop version 8.6:

Support for different user profiles
    RAV AntiVirus Desktop version 8.6 supports different user profiles on the same computer, meaning that you can configure differently RAV AntiVirus Desktop for different users working on the same machine.

Server update
    This new feature of the RAV update process allows you to reduce the Internet traffic and the time spent on updating RAV AntiVirus Desktop in case you are using this product on more computers connected in one network. When using the Server Update feature, you’re downloading the updates for RAV AntiVirus Desktop on only one computer, referred to as “update server”. These files are mirrored in a directory called RAV Update on the “update server”. This directory is shared and the other computers using RAV AntiVirus Desktop in your network can copy the updated files using your network`s bandwidth instead of your Internet connection.

Deployment Tool
    One of the most expected features in version 8.6 of RAV AntiVirus Desktop is the Deployment Tool. RAV AntiVirus Desktop Deployment Tool is a tool that will help the system administrator to deploy (install) RAV AntiVirus Desktop from one computer to all the machines from his network. It can therefore save a lot of time when the system administrator has to install RAV AntiVirus Desktop on hundreds of computers. Separate documentation (Release Notes and User's Guide) is available for the Deployment Tool. Learn more about Deployment Tool

Improvements in old features
    The following improvements are available for features that were available in previous version of RAV AntiVirus Desktop (version 8.5):
    - RAV Update has been rewritten, improving the update performance and minimizing the update connection time. On average, the new update procedure included in RAV Desktop version 8.6 runs 20% faster, the time you have to spend online for updating being accordingly reduced.
    - Virus Info improved: Now you can learn more about computer viruses, see the spreading statistics and RAV Antivirus news in Virus Info. Please note that, in order to see the detailed statistics provided in the Virus Info page, you will need an Internet connection.
    - The interface of RAV AntiVirus Desktop version 8.6 is more intuitive.
    - Bugs reported by users of RAV Desktop version 8.5 were solved in this release.
    We gave you reasons to worry less and less. Now, if you're not the kind of person to be persuaded by the power of the word, download RAV 8.6 for Desktop and discover the new way it can change your world. In order to fully benefit from the new features and improved performance of RAV 8.6, please uninstall the old version of RAV before installing the new version. ...And never forget to update your RAV AntiVirus! It's free, even for the trial version!

Unique modular construction
    The new and improved modular concept allows the scanning of different types of programs, in order to be performed a complete and solid detection process. Thus, special modules are available for MS Outlook, Internet browsers and MS Office 2000.

more: http://www.rav.ro

Technodrome

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I'm going to try the linux version.

3. wizard

wizard Registered Member

I think RAV is becoming one of the most interessting anti virus products for the future. Still a little bit far behind the first row of antivirus scanners at the moment but these guys are on the right track with their development. :)

wizard

4. Technodrome

I agree with you wizard!

I've been following this product since 6.xx version and I must say that this product deserves top praising!

Technodrome

5. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

After testing the linux version, I think I like it, nice interface, easy install, It updates easily, but is pretty slow scanning. That may have more to do with the system though.

Celeron 366, with 6gig udma 33 5400rpm HD, 256MB cas 2 ecc ram.

When scan was being done, Linus Mandrake was already using every inch of the 256MB ram (I installed absolutely everything) and some virtual as well. From the HD thrashing I heard, I'd say the swap file was used heavily.

93,719 files in 7969 folders
    scan speed 1078 kb/s
    scan time: 37 min, 73 seconds.
    All settings to maximum
    Viruses detected: 0 (big surprise there ;) )
    Not exactly NOD32 there for speed but there are not too many decent choices for linux. It scans for windows viruses as well as Linux ones.

After trial is up, price is $29 USD. Man if you think getting a couple bucks out of all the windows feebee hounds was hard, try that with people who aren't used to paying 10 cents for anything! LOL that will change as linux gets more popular. Converted windows users like me will be willing to pay. Also the virus writers will actually give RAV something more to detect soon I bet.

6. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Technodrome,

Do you know there are already independent testresults about RAV Desktop v8.6 for Windows?

Ciao,

Smokey

7. Technodrome

Check out
    http://www.av-test.com
    http://www.virusbtn.com
    http://www.trojaner-info.de

Technodrome

8. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

After trying the linux version for a couple weeks, I do not like it. It missed viruses I downloaded. The windows version may be better, I don't know.

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I've tried the Windows version on my XP machine with the same results as you.

Instabil program too, and Windows was hanging several times.
    Since I run XP I haven't see any blue screen of death any more, but RAV for Windows have showed me the blue screen for the first time I run XP.

Some more development, and RAV will be o.k. in competition with other well-known anti-virus software.

Ciao,

Smokey

10. Technodrome

Never had problems with RAV!
    Used on:
    Windows 98,ME,2000 and XP!

Technodrome

11. Technodrome

What viruses?
    Names,please...

Technodrome

12. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

You're a lucky guy! ;)

Ciao,

Smokey

13. Technodrome

I Guess so ! ;)

Technodrome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.