Rate My Security Please

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Monkey_Feces, Aug 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkey_Feces

Monkey_Feces Registered Member

Will I likely be protected from stupid web surfing?(eg. pr0n and game hacks, not that i use hacks, i just want to know how my security system would fare against stupid internet usage)
    My security system is as follows:
    2 hardware firewalls from wired gateway and wireless router
    1 software firewall in zone alarm pro
    Antivirus: Avira's free antivir
    Antispies: Spybot w/ teatimer, ad-aware, a squared, ewido, spyware guard, spyware blaster
    system maintenance: ccleaner (would adding a freeware registry cleaner help?)
    active guards: ewido, spyware blaster, spyware guard, avira, teatimer, zone alarm pro
    I have a few questions regarding my security. Does ZA pro and teatimer compare anywhere close to processguard when it comes to monitoring rogue or phoning home processes? My other question is how my system will fare against rootkits and if it doesn't, what would be recommended?

If you do reply with a rating of my security, can you please review it as critically as possible?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u want to be "protected from stupid web surfing", id suggest u get an antivirus using the kasperky engine. the original KAV is good.

for rootkits, i think youd need an HIPS like ProcessGuard (paid version), AppDefend, System Safety Monitor, etc.

and remember, no amount of programs will protect you if u keep clicking "allow" or "ignore".

i wont tell u to change your antispyware, but id personally just keep ewido and add superantispyware.

3. Monkey_Feces

Out of the rootkit utilities, which is the best of the free ones?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

do u mean HIPS or standalone anti-rootkit?

many antivirus companies have their own anti-rootkit. among them are:

avg
    f-secure
    bitdefender
    sophos

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Sophos one is free, but beware of Rootkit cleaning. If u are not knowlegable, u can delete some legitimate enteries.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Regarding ur real time protection I will suggest to trim it down.
    U can use just one antispyware( like u have Ewido) in real time and one for on-demand( like SAS Free), so u can safely remove TeaTimer plus Spybot, ad-aware and posssibly a-squard).
    U did not mention ur surfing habits, that matters a lot.
    U can consider a Sandbox like GesWall or Sandboxie-- both are free.
    With ZAPro u have already a sort of HIPS/ Behavioural Blocker and anti-keylogger( OS firewall), so u can live without a HIPS on ur system unless u are really fond of HIPS and want a full control of ur PC, in that case SSM free and PG free are god options. ZAP will also catch anything on ur system phoning home.
    If u surf safely and don,t install anything from untrusted sources, u can even remove real time antispyware and just use on-demand scans.
    Infact u have to decide urself what u want and then try different software to make a good combo for ur system, the real time componants can be
    AV( must)
    FireWall( must)

Others to consider--

HIPS ( Optional)
    SandBox( Optional)
    AntiKeylogger( Optional)
    AT( Optional)
    Anti-phishing( optional but common sense is must)

On-Demand

Online AV scanner for second opinion like Kaspersky( optional)
    Antispyware( rather must)

Safe surfing is the mother of all security measures, if u go everywhere on net, then ur PC can never be saved.
    Also consider an instant Recovery software like FDISR and RollbackRx, I do consider it as a solid security measure. If at all u feel u are infected, rather than messing with ur system, I will just prefer to recover my system to a clean snapshot.

7. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

What browser do you use? If you want security only for stupid web surfing, I do think you have a real overkill with all those apps.
    I would say using Firefox with Java turned off and the extension "noscript" is enough. Atleast it is enough for me and I try to do alot of stupid things with my browsing :D Or run IE with user rights only and turn off java and javascript (but it is less hassle with firefox since you might want to use javascripts on certain (safe) pages.)

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

FF with NoScript or
    Opera with Java Script turned off, F12, u can edit selective site preferences, just like NoScript in FF.

9. Monkey_Feces

Thanks for all the help. Would MRU blaster do anything for me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.