Random Thoughts and Musings

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by n8chavez, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

I am using an AMD X2 with NForce4 chipset board, 4 GB RAM and Win XP Pro 32 Bit. Because of using the 32 Bit version of windows, actually only 3.5 GB RAM are available because my video card uses 512 MB of the 4 GB to map it's video ram. Windows logic to use it's virtual memory is one of the most stupid things I have seen - even if you have several GB of free memory, it starts putting large amount of data into the swap file. The file caching algo is also a joke. It starts to swap out memory of active applications (!) just to put additional data into the file cache. And there is no way to tweak this behaviour of Windows. :(

People that complain about low memory usage should get Sysinternals Autoruns and disable all the unnecessary auto-start entries (QuickTime, Java, ...) that eat up memory and slow down system start.

BTW, even a behaviour blocker (PDM) does slow down your system. Every additional API hook you place slows down the OS.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

anyone with a 'decent' machine should have no problems using/installing any antivirus or suite out there, they aint that bad, even the highest ram ones.

ram issues only enter as a factor (and sometimes not even then) when on >512mb ram machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.