Ran into a Vista problem!!!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I've just found this problem,and I dont know how to resolve it o_O Vista just informed me there were available updates, so I installed them, No problem I thought at first, untill I wondered why a DVD would not start when I put it in my DVD drive, so I went to My Computer, to open the DVD and take a look, but Bloody Hell! the drive Icon has dissapeared :blink: and when I tried to see If it needed new firmware, I downloaded new firmwear, but Windows told me DVD Drive could not be located :blink: :blink: Where in the Hell has it gone o_O o_O And how do I get it back?

2. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

this doesnt actually say how to fix the problem, just that he did a registry hack, but how? It jumps to say he fixed it but doesnt say how to do the registry hack, And putting My PC to sleep doesnt work either :( I just spent 40 mins on the phone with some Microsoft Support Guy, who was Indian or Asian or Pakistani, and I couldnt bloody understand him, and after 40 Mins I hung up, cause he said it might be a Virus :mad: "F*****G W****R) I freshly formatted the PC ,and it was Windows updates that cause this to happen the very first reboot after installing them :ninja:

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Don't take me wrong, please, but it has to be said: Vista rocks!;)
    Good luck DVD+R! If only i could help, i would believe me... Try the wizard for new Hardware.

6. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Heh, the Vista Rocks post did come to mind when I saw this:p

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Ah come on. That's a bit cruel. He could have a small person and not posted or shared the problem. I take my hat off to him for posting this.

Pete

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

9. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Can you see the drive with disk management?

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It might sound cruel. Sorry if it did. Mea culpa, i take it back:p
    The good luck part was sincere though. It's probably because it's all new.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

My Post Vista Rocks!!! is still valid to me, every OS has a glitch somewhere or other,and I'm sure this error, was unforseen by Microsoft, however calling the US support team, because the Australian Microsoft support team only opperate Mon-Fri seemed a good idea. However calling Microsoft in the USA I did not expect to be transfered to the support team in New Delih India :blink:
    their English was very broken,and misunderstandable, After 40 mins I hung up with no resolution,cause I could not understand the guy :ninja: Anyway, I woke up this morning, I left my PC doing a Virus Scan with Kaspersky 6.02 (Not that Kaspersky is the Only Solution, other AV's may fix it too) and I turned on my Screen, Kaspersky had found nothing :) I then clicked on the Computer icon on the desktop, and It's Back :D :D Maybe its because I had set Kasperky to scan All Drives including Removeable and CD/DVD Drives, and it hunted it down, and fixed it :p Nevertheless, I'm aware this could happen again, untill Microsoft fix this up with updates or an SP1 or 2. Vista untill this happened had been running extra smoothly, The only other incident is the UAC (User Account Control) which is rather annoying cause it asks permission for everything, it even asked for permission, for me to take a piss :D and with this function turned on It terminated FlashGet, it says its Denied it Access, with UAC turned off, Flashget works. I'm sure Microsoft are being bombarded with pissed off people calling every minute of the day. My friend in Los Angeles, says people all over the place are really cheesed off with the Vista issues,and are planning a protest at Microsoft :p Microsoft arnt the first company to have problems,and they wont be the last, but the fact is over 1 Billion Customers are satisfied with what they got, so they must be doing something good. I predict within the next 6 months, Vista will be as Operative as XP,and no compatibility Issues :cool:

Thanks for the replys :thumb:

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Edit: Time Now 3:49PM Western Australia

The Damn thing has vanished again :blink: After installing some software,and defrag with PD8, the sleep thing worked once, then didnt after that :blink: Luckily I have 2 DVD Drives on my PC, a Pioneer DVD Burner (the one thats vanished) and a Samsung DVD/RW Combo (this one hasn't vanished...Yet!! :rolleyes:

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I do hope you get things sorted out on your copy of Vista before too long but this topic is yet another cautious reminder of just how unpredicable microsoft releases are, and especially these new O/S's with all sorts of claims for improved features and security.

I will as others be watching results like these as they continue to trickle into the forums but am also greatly encouraged that my Vista-Like XP will stay safely in my line of sight for the foreseeable future and not easily dismissed for Vista, seeing how it is still falling short of a lot of peeps great expectations.

All The Best!

15. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'm not one to usually have a defetist attitude, but in my left hand I have a Copy of Windows XP Pro SP2 (My Original OS) and in my right I have a Copy of Windows Vista :cautious: Yep, you guessed it, I'm on the Edge of Reinstalling XP. I purchased Roxio's Easy Media Creator 9, It says Vista Compatible on their website, it installed fine, and then suddenly a Compatibility Driver Issue appeared, and it was with this message :

Description
    A driver is installed that causes stability problems with your system. This driver will be disabled. Please contact the driver manufacturer for an update that is compatible with this version of Windows.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: ApphelpHardBlock
    Problem Signature 01: {f9ab2228-3312-4a73-b6f9-936d70e112ef}
    Problem Signature 02: {90ebb0c1-1f7f-40ff-9920-41d4c3f14cdd}
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 3081

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 14182343

In fact read the other reports too: :(

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Explorer.EXE
    Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Application Timestamp: 4549b091
    Fault Module Name: Explorer.EXE
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4549b091
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00049fa2
    Additional Information 1: 8d13
    Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
    Additional Information 3: 8d13
    Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Bucket ID: 344097131

Description
    Service Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) hung on starting.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: ServiceHang
    Service Name: SharedAccess
    Image Name: ipnathlp.dll
    Image Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Service Type: 20
    Start Type: 2

Bucket ID: 11619830

Description
    Windows encountered a problem while installing device drivers for your Creative Game Port

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: PnPDriverInstallError
    Architecture: x86
    Win32 error: E0000219
    Inf name: ctljystk.inf
    Driver Package hash: 0125bf93e7489bdd5b6a1af268054e857d312d5f
    DDInstall section name: CtlGamePort_Device
    Locale ID: 1033

Bucket ID: 15185809

Description
    Windows encountered a problem while installing device drivers for your Creative Game Port

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: PnPDriverInstallError
    Architecture: x86
    Win32 error: E0000219
    Inf name: ctljystk.inf
    Driver Package hash: 0125bf93e7489bdd5b6a1af268054e857d312d5f
    DDInstall section name: CtlGamePort_Device

Bucket ID: 15185809

Description
    Service Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0 hung on starting.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: ServiceHang
    Service Name: AVP
    Image Name: avp.exe" -r
    Image Version: 0.0.0.0
    Service Type: 10
    Start Type: 2

Files that help describe the problem
    Version.txt
    minidump.mdmp

View a temporary copy of these files
    Warning: If a virus or other security threat caused the problem, opening a copy of the files could harm your computer.

The Kaspersky report was generated no less than 5 times in a row :(

I am however before I migrate back to XP (Delete Partition/Format/Install)

going to give this ~snip~ Called Vista, a run as A Clean Format Install, and not as an Upgrade, and see if theres any performance differences, I have a gut feeling that Upgrades,are not the way to Go, We Shall see,. With great intrepidation, I shall now delete the bloody thing,and format once more to do a clean install,.........Here Goes, I'll be back in a while with a Report :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2007
  16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Don't call her ~snip~. It's the most advanced and secure M$ operating system released ever in the multiverse. It features cookies and multimedia and all.
    Mrk

17. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Always better to do a clean install in my view. I have played with Vista for a few hours only so it would be unfair of me to be too critical about this as yet unfinshed OS.

It may well Rock eventually but as of today I can't really take it too seriously.
    Driver updates, security patches, minor glitches -- 6 to 9 months and I will look again.

18. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Could this possibly be an example of M$ controlling what you can and can't install into your OS??......:D :D :D

Cochise...Sceptical in Scotland..

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You know I thnk Cochise has an excellent point. It's not that MS folks are incompetent. I've installed MS Office 2007 on 3 machines, and I love it. More and more I find little improvements, and I also like the look.

But with Vista, they want to control completely what I can and can't do. I think they went so over board, that computer can't run as they should. I find it telling that some of the vendors, are defaulting to vista, but still offering XP pro on their new machines.

20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

It makes you wonder if Microsoft group ever really listened to all the valid complaints it has received over the years of it's other O/S's by Network Admins & end-users.

Also you would think they would learn by now how to receive feedback and act on particulars before releasing a new O/S again which is only going to deepen frustration when these problems are finally discovered & realized.

We have to face the facts unfortunately that it's taken them this long just to release it, and may take just as long to iron out all the disappointments people are going to experience with it.

Yeah, they apparently have gone way too far overboard on trying to assume full control of YOUR OWN pc to themselves.

21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well here I am a day later, and I have installed Vista Once again :rolleyes: This time, I'm not experiencing any weirdness o_O (So Far) I'm running it with just bare essentials security, NOD32 and I havent replaced Windows Defender just yet, I'll leave that for a couple of days till I install Spy Sweeper again. I am curious though to one particular thing I read about, and that is, Unlike XP you can Activate Vista as Many times as you like as long as its on the same machine. The question is what happens if you move location o_O and have to Install Vista again sometime down the road, Will it recognize the Computer ID? or does it activate from your IP address? if this is the case your buggered :blink: and might have to buy another copy to activate, or even if you change ISP's :ninja: it might not activate, A long shot in theory, but who the hell knows these days o_O

22. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

The key is tied to your machine. Unless you do some major changes, like the motherboard, you will not have any problems. If you do change the mobo, a call to MS explaining what happen will get you reactivated.

Only problem I have been having is dealing with Beta drivers. Shutting down was taking forever until I looked into Event Viewer and noticed some warnings about CTHELPER.exe around those times. This is a Creative process which I used msconfig to keep it from loading (it is not essential) and that stopped the slow shutdowns. The Vista Creative and Nvidia drivers are subpar right now, to say the least.

23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I wish Creative would hurry up and release a Vista version of the Full Sound Blaster Suite, the Beta Driver only contains the bare minimum, and none of the stuff it has in the XP Version, Like speaker calibration, and sound enhancements etc..

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

25. David S

David S Registered Member

For what it's worth, I really like Vista. My pc seems rock solid and runs like a dream. I've had a couple of issues involving trying to install programs that weren't Vista compatable or only partially compatable but one just didn't run and the other actually runs good but all options aren't available, on XP my system would freeze up or crash. I'm leaving them installed as the manufacturers have said updated versions are coming and they are not causing any problems.

The only reason I can give for holding off would be if something that you absolutely needed to use wouldn't be compatable, then I would wait. (Check your wireless card's site etc). but it looks like the manufacturers are trying to catch up as quickly as possible. Other than that it's a joy, it's not so much that there are a lot of new options but everything pretty much has improved greatly-my video now is incredible and it just runs so well. I would never put XP back in.

I should mention that I have a newer computer, a lot of the frustrations that I have heard are from people with older pc's, so be aware of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.