RAM QUESTION

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by courtlenn7, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. courtlenn7

courtlenn7 Registered Member

I hope this is the right forum to ask this questionl

I have MSN Premium Service and was told by MSN techs that I needed more
    RAM to run the program effeciently. It freezes on me sometimes.
    I have no idea how to purchase RAM or what kind of RAM I need..
    What information do I need to purchase RAM and where on my compute
    would I find that information? I see something while booting up that says SDRAM. I am computer illiterate and don't have a clue?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In a case like yours where you don't really know anything about the insides of your computer you might be better off letting a qualified computer technican recomend and install your ram. you might should do a little asking around to find a dependable shop that you can pretty much trust. And be sure to do a little comparison pricing ;)

3. courtlenn7

courtlenn7 Registered Member

That would be nice, should I win the lottery, but am posting here so I can do it myself, as I am retired and on a limited income.

Thanks anyway.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Ok... First thing is that it is hard to find Cheap SdRam. Becoz it is very outdated.

And you should get a Program called Everest from here
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

it tell yous every computer spec you need to know if you need any info.

Simply get SD Ram. ( Faster SD RAM will work on Slower Speed if required. )

Do not get DDR SDram, They are different type of ram and wont fit into your computer.

Simply open your case and plug the Ram in. Shouldn't be difficult since there is only one way to slot it in.

However i must remind you that SD Ram tend to have a higher possibilities for incompatibilities.

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Upgrading your memory yourself vs. paying someone for it is quite a difference in price, most places where I live charge between $45-60 USD for labor alone, and then another $35-150 for the RAM (depending on how much, type, speed, etc)

Firstly, it'd help a bit to know the brand and model of the PC, and processor type, etc, but I will take a guess here (From what you said about the SD-RAM from the BIOS.)

It is most likely SD-RAM, PC100, 168 pin - the most common SD-RAM, now if your PC takes PC100 SD-RAM, then PC133 (or higher?) may or may not work, its a hit-or-miss thing from my expierence, if your PC takes PC133 then get PC133 as anything slower will work, but will slow your system down, I think the best thing to do would to be to download everest (I believe its lavalys.com ? - the Home edition.) and check, but it is most likely SD-RAM PC100, 168 pin - if it is SD, DO NOT get DDR memory, it will NOT work! there is no such thing as "DDR SD" it is either DDR or SD, but not both, upgrading the memory is very simple, and I'd suggest a google search of "PC memory upgrades" for more information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.