ram free

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i did notice that when my pc is on , after some time ,it become slow
    and i need a reboot
    i have 2gb of ram and run xp

is there a tool to free memory
    i know only Free RAM Optimizer XP

is there one light , and really good?

thanks

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Are you sure it's RAM's fault?

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

what could be ?
    i have only nod32 2.7 in memory

i make a huge use of photoshop cs3 lightroom and other programs that need rams

4. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

If that is the case then XP 64 bit shoud be a serious consideration,it has many advantages,main point is it has a huge memory address space,many times bigger then 32 bit.
    Memory optimisers are pointless,they do more evil then good,windows own memory management is quite good,i would not mesh with default kernel operations.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

mantra, take a look at CachemanXP. I used NetObjects Fusion in my old Win98SE PC (384 MB RAM) and Cacheman 5.50 helped a lot.

To tell you the truth, I installed Cacheman 5.50 (CachemanXP was in BETA at the time) in my then new XP PC since I started using Macromedia Studio MX, but adding an extra stick of RAM (2 GBs total) helped me more. I do feel your pain because using Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash Pro at the same time does drain RAM (about 1 GB).

6. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi,

# The restarting of Windows releases the Memory;

#Cleaning of : WindowsUpdate.log ; ReportingEvents.log ; unused Windows components ...

# Clean with : KCleaner ; RegSeeker ; JavaRa ; Microsoft Installer Clean Up ; DelLater ;...

# Delete all old restore points ( C\System Volume Information )

# To optimise XP services and Startup of Windows ...

... ...

Your PROROOTECT ( clean ...):cool:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  7. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Did you also took a look a the CPU time of all running processes in task manager? You need first go to view menu, select(choose) columns (I don't know how it's called in an English windows version),check CPU-time.
    Now sort on CPU time normally the system idle process should have the highest CPU time.

Check also the CPU usage of processes.

I use Minimem to reduce the RAM usage on my computer.You can download it here.

8. PROROOTECT

9. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The file cache is using the available memory you have to cache various program files. This is beneficial in that it will speed up the execution of certain programs, however, Windows itself will start swapping some of its kernel files when the memory is full, thus leading to sluggish performance.

I suggest that you look at Cacheman XP, or if you are willing to spend, O&O CleverCache--this is what I use for Vista.

10. Bensec

Bensec Registered Member

some off-the-way idea

IMO creating a 1G RAM DISK and immigrating the page file onto it would be also a good choice. then you have 1G RAM and 1G super-fast page file. I dont have 2G RAM, never got the change to test it. so :doubt: no idea what the effect would be. :D It's just an idea, which i believe may hopefully be a way out.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That won't help him much as there is no x64 version of Photoshop for one thing. Also, he can use up to about 3.5 gigs ram in XP x32 anyhow, or Vista x32, whatever the case, so that's plenty for most purposes.....

Slowdowns can be due to short ram, but also other things going on with the machine software or otherwise.... It needs to be narrowed down a bit...

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes it helps,if you can get 64 bit Windowse, and Photoshop(32 bit) installed in its own 32 bit layer,the memory advantage in this setup is huge.
    If you have for example 4 gig or more installed,Photoshop can address almost(something left for OS) 4 gig . Main point again is that due to this Huge adress space,everything Photoshop related including virt. memory(scratchdisk) is placed in RAM so you can think of how this will benefit the OP if.............
    On 32 bit Windows,Photoshop can use only around 2 gig no matter how much memory you have in place,and have constantly to write to disk.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i guess one of the problems of my 2gb of ram is firefox
    i did notice that need 200mb (average) , sometime 600mb hell

14. PROROOTECT

Mantra, could you explain your position on my 1st message? Thank you in advance ...

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

well thanks
    i read it
    i don't want to restart to refresh memory
    i use often ccleaner
    i disable restore point
    opzimize xp service and startup of windows ( i don't know how optimize xp services) and about startup of windows , there is nothin only nod32

16. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

17. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.