ram disk software suggestions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by treehouse786, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

i have 16GB of ram of which 8GB i want to allocate as a virtual drive in 'my computer' (windows 7 64 bit)

can anyone recommend some reputable software's?

thanks

2. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Noticed you have Seven 64bits. For free you can choose Dataram RAMDisk that is good. However "Dataram RAMDisk is freeware (up to 4 GB disk size). Disks larger than 4 GB require registration and a license which can be purchased for $14.99 USD".

If you can work with 4 GB instead your request to 8 GB, you can use it for free. It's an excellent RamDisk.

3. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

I would say more free than excellent. Slow in saving images and can freak out during saves resulting in corrupted image. Rare but can happen. Not possible to only let it save during shutdown, must enable save every xxxx seconds as well. Seems stupid but is not. I use it because I am too cheap to buy Vsuite ramdisk http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/vsuite-ramdisk/ramdisk-comparison.html Seems like the best by far but 80$ is crazy. I think I have checked all avail. options, comes down to Dataram or Vsuite. Dataram only let you use 1 disk btw. so 4gb is max.

If you have no specific purpose for disk other than temp files then check Junction Link Magic http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm or similar tool. I use it for Digsby, Miro, Snackr. Any program that use cache in one form or another or write to whatever database file over and over should be placed on ramdisk.

4. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Have a look also at RamDisk by SuperSpeed here

5. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

thanks for the excellent info guys :thumb:

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Tried a few and this is the one I've stuck with.

Can save an iso of the ramdrive which can be loaded into ram at boot.

8 gig of ram here and I usually use my ssd 32 bit install.

Dataram can use the ram that's above the 4 gig limit of 32 bit to create a ramdrive but I think that feature is only available in Win 7?

7. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi Franklin, it seems that the feature isn't only available in Win 7. Their pdf Manual can help you; Advanced tab is where there are info unnused ram available about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.