Ram cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by maddawgz, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Most will say memory managers are "snake oil". :p There are a few that do what they say they will however, Win 2k\XP and Vista(?) are much better at memory management then their predecessors. Starting\loading another app. into memory to manage memory has always been of questionable use IMO. o_O Chip prices have really dropped over recent weeks, raid the piggy bank and spring for another stick of memory if your mobo will support it. Your PC will thank you. ;)

3. Arup

Arup Guest

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello maddawgz.

Quote from your link:

Cleaning your RAM has actually nothing to do with the speed of system. Software like this one just cleans your RAM, and whether you need that feature or not depends on what you do with your computer. Memory managers force the open/resident applications to use as little RAM as possible, thus leaving remaining available RAM for other tasks. But in order to perform at maximum speed an application should use RAM at free will. So - the more RAM used, the faster the application. Example - install a memory manager, free your RAM, and then open just explorer - it would take much longer than before. I have tried many such managers in the past, and I drew a simple conclusion - if you want a responsive system, you would want to utilize your RAM as much as possible. On our home systems, these utilities are almost useless, you will notice very liitle to no improvement at all. However, if you do some memory-demanding type of work on your system (video/audio editing) you may find some benefit in memory managers. They will force all your resident apps to use minimal amount of RAM, so your work/editing will be smoother.
    Whenever there's a thread regarding memory managers, there's a comment like this one -

I somehow find this a very reasonable suggestion. Don't waste your money on software...

If you are still interested in mem managers, I can recommend O&O Clever Cache, it was IMO the best one out of maybe 10 I tried...

Cheers.

5. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

If you have replied to this thread (or even if you haven't) can you explain to me what AVG Anti-Spyware does to RAM? Say I've decided to scan with Spyware Doctor or Spy Sweeper for example. Before the scan, with browser open, I am using about 38% to 40% of 1G of RAM (I know this because I have an application called MemInfo sitting in the notification area), at idle around 32%. If I've been using the PC continuously for several hours, I'm looking at low 40%. Now understand, also utilizing RAM at this time is NOD32, Windows Defender, Comodo FW, Weather Pulse, PopTray and Spy Sweeper (I only open SWD to scan). After the scan, with a browser open memory usage remains above 50%. However, if I perform a two minute memory scan with AVG A-S, idle memory returns to usually 26% - 28% and while browsing around 30% So what does AVG do and what, if any of these programs can do the same? Thank You!

6. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

how does that work seems an exe?? flahses quick dos?

thanks i though't as much i run 2gig so np anyhow was curious MD

7. Arup

Arup Guest

You have to execute it from a DOS command prompt.

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi ratchet.

So you're basically saying that AVG works like a memory manager as well? :D Very usefull app indeed :D But scanning is not a memory intensive task, so I'm not sure why AVG needs to clear the RAM while scanning. o_O It's a question for developers, I believe... I have noticed similar behavior only with VMs and apps that have really large memory demads - over 500mb.

10. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Yes Seer! I have two mem scans scheduled/day and will occasionally manually scan should something run the RAM usage really high.

11. rodmac87

rodmac87 Registered Member

Not to blow that other one in the water but this is a great little free tool. I downloaded this and the free trial version of the other one, which doesn't fix anything unless you buy it. I installed the initial one first and it warned me that it needed to be cleaned. I thought, well yeah right, it just wants me to buy the software, but after I ran the other free one that message went away and now it just says "system works ok"

And that has helped big time with the random shutdowns I've been getting, described in this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=181477

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Regarding AVG AS, I don't know what it does - but it does.
    I have noticed this quite some time ago - a kind of a free bonus for the devout.
    Mrk

13. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

My research into these which has spanned months. Indicates they are far more trouble then they are worth. I need good resource management for "my pc" ye old compaq. I say :p to such cleaners. :thumbd:

They made such a poor impression on me I can not even think of the name of one of them I was investigating. :oops:

The best ram cleaner I know of is called reboot.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I'm with you there... Reboot, or if possible, buy more ram...

15. vkidv

vkidv Registered Member

As a sidenote, Vista and Linux use as much memory as possible.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=107810

The problem is deciding what to load in memory, what to unload when you need to load something...

I believe Windows XP tries to use 50% of memory so that opening is fast (getting it into memory from disk).

16. rodmac87

rodmac87 Registered Member

Link, link, where's the link? A google search for "reboot" and "ram cleaner" bring up endless results and it's extremely hard to find one that's simply called "reboot", if you're going to mention great software or something you think works the best it helps to provide a link for others. ;)

17. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Mercurie meant that the best way to free RAM is to reboot your pc.

18. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Good having some fresh comic blood to read with ten-four out to pasture. :D Thank's for that rodmac. ;)

Steve

19. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

:blink: Someone say boot? :blink: :D

Ooh, RE-boot! Yeah, that works too!:cautious:

Marja:cool:

20. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

:D :D That is correct. Thanks for setting me straight. :D :D

21. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I've been had :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.