Raid Help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jsh, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsh

jsh Registered Member

How To Restore from Basic to RAID 0

I have a dell 8400 with chipset (Intel 925X Express + ICH6R- Foxconn motherboard) that supports RAID. Configuration is now non Raid 160 GIG SATA drive C with just installed 160 GIG SATA 2nd drive setup as dynamic drive. I have a 30 gig USB HDD with image of C on it. I also have an extra 80 GIG SATA I can Install and use for whatever, can install up to 4 SATA drives. Drive C is Basic listed in disk mgr as 149 GB and actually has 3 partitions (1) 47 meg FAT healthy EISA configuration (2) 144.31 GB NFTS Healthy (system) and (3) 4.64 GB Fat 32 Healthy Unknown Partition. I think # 3 is some partition with an image of the disk dell puts on ther to restore the disk to factory settings if needed. The new Disk (drive G) is set up as Dynamic 153 MG NFTS.

When I get into the raid setup util, it is going to make a 300 MG striped volume wiping out all data on C . What is the best way to make a raid on the 1st 2 drives and restore bootable Drive C to the new RAID drive. Can I just make an image of the 144 GB NFTS system partition on drive 1 and can I restore this to the 300 MEG RAID 0 array without messing up the size? I have a copy of the entire drive with all 3 partitions on it and can make an image of the 144 GB system partition only. My 30 GB USB is empty and only being used for this image and restore operation. Currently it just has an image of all 3 partitions of the primary disk on it, about 6 GB. The extra 80 GB SATA is not installed yet but can be. Should I use it to clone C to and then reclone back to sata array when setup.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
    John Hull

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, jsh

Welcomed to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

Before you do anything:-
    Ti will not work with a Dynamic HDD as it is not supported by them, please do a search on the forum to see the problems with people trying to use it. [mainly WD HDD are set that way for some reason]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. schwab

schwab Registered Member

Hi all

Just to confirm that TI software don't works with ICH6R controllers.

Ghost with 3rd party drivers loading (F6 at boot) works fine.

Bye

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Well thanks schwab. That was about as much use to John as an ashtray on a motorcycle!!

Hello John,

The latest build of TI (800) does support ICH6R RAID (see this <recent post by mdburkey>).

As TheQuest says, True Image (basic version) doesn't support dynamic disks. However, all is not lost. Check out my <previous post> and the embeded link to a possible workaround.

I'm afraid I can't advise on how best to set up a new RAID array as I've never had the need for one. Hopefully someone else will chip in and help you with this.

Regards

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jsh,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

First of all, please note that the latest build of Acronis True Image does support ICH6 RAID controller. You will be able to see it properly after booting from Acronis Bootable CD.

You will be able to restore the image you have to the RAID you want to build and all the data will be transferred. However, there is a problem you should know about. If you haven't got appropriate RAID drivers in the system installed it will not boot after you start it. Actually operating system will try to recognize the hard disk it is installed on but will fail because of the lack of drivers.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.