Raid 5 & Primary partition cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ConsultSteve, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConsultSteve

ConsultSteve Registered Member

I am running Win Server 2003 with Raid 5 array and like a lot of others have found my original primary partition (C:) too small for all the new MS apps. Am I correct in reading that True Image Server will allow me to clone the OS and reinstall it after I reformat the array to a larger primary partition or does the software perform this on the fly??

2. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

you can do this with acronis disk director. but will need to reboot since it a c drive

3. ConsultSteve

ConsultSteve Registered Member

Does Disk Director Server work with Win 2003, R2o_O?

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ConsultSteve,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis products.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that if you would like just to increase the size of the primary partition of you RAID array then you can do it with help of Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0. You will be able to resize partitions without losing data. Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0 supports Windows 2003 Server along with other server operating systems. Also Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0 fully supports RAID configurations (including RAID 0,1,5, etc.) even while booted from Bootable Rescue media.

If you would like to transfer the system to a higher-capacity hard disk we recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. glaw

glaw Registered Member

The Acronis Moderator wrote "Please note that if you would like just to increase the size of the primary partition of you RAID array then you can do it with help of Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0. "

I just purchased Disk Director Suite and have wasted the last several hours trying to get it to resize my primary partition "C:drive" by moving unused space from one of my other partitions. I have a RAID 0,1 configuration. Based on above information, which does not appear in the obvious "Version Comparison" webpage or anywhere else that I can find, this software is useless to me and has WASTED a substantial amount of my time. I certainly do not intend to pay $500 to increase the primary partition on my work computer.

Hopefully, I misunderstand. If I am correct, I think I am owed an apology and the web information should be immediately corrected.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello glaw,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that the information provided at Acronis web site is correct as in fact both Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 and Acronis Disk Director Server 10.0 provide the support for RAID arrays. The detailed comparison between these two versions can be found here.

As for the problem you experience, first of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (2117) of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 which is available for downloading in the Product Updates section of your account at Acronis web site.

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account then log in and use your serial number to register the software.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (2117) of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 then please check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility: use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive. Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and try change the size of your system partition once more.

If the problem persists after checking the hard drive and updating the drivers then please try resizing the system partition when your computer is booted from Bootable Rescue Media created using the latest build (2717) of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0.

If that does not help either then please submit a request for technical support containing the following information along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Let us know what happens exactly when you try to resize your system partition;

- Do you receive any warning, error or informational messages? What exact messages do you receive? When do you receive these messages exactly?

- Let us know the exact vendor and model of your RAID controller.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.