Raid 1 Drives Not Visible

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Partitioned, Feb 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partitioned

Partitioned Registered Member

I did some searching on my own but if someone has a link to the right post please redirect me and I will read.

I have Paragon Hard Disk Manager Pro V10.0.17.13146. I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit fully patched. My MB is a ASUS P8P67, with Intel and Marvell Raid solutions. My OS is on an SSD and my data is mirrored using the Intel Controller on 1TB drives. I have another drive which I use for OS backup, scratch and logs etc.

I would like to use my software to make a complete backup of my OS (C:\ drive) and data files. My SSD and scratch drive, including my DVD, show up when I start the Paragon disk manager but it does not show my data. (Windows has labelled the drive, drive D).

Is there a setting I need to set to see the raid array or is there a limitation that prevents Paragon from seeing or backing up a raided array?

Thank you.

2. garioch7

garioch7 Registered Member

Hello. I am running a primary C:\ drive in RAID0 array (2x600 GB Velociraptors). The HDM11 Suite recognizes that as one drive and backs it up successfully - no problems.

The only thought that occurs to me is the possibility that Windows might be a bit confused. Have you tried going to the Computer Management module and renaming the D:\ drive (your RAID1 array) to another letter, like R: (so you don't mess up any of your USB ports or other drives) and see if that makes a difference? If it works, you're good. If not, you can just name it back to D:\ and perhaps someone else, more knowledgeable, will come up with a solution for you.

I have run into the issue twice now in the last two months with client computers where an external drive wasn't being properly recognized by Windows, and that solved the problem in both cases.

Hope this helps and let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,
    -Phil

3. Partitioned

Thanks for the suggestion. My raid drives aren't external. Everything works well. If I plug in a USB it gets recognized, even by the Paragon software. It is the Paragon software that doesn't or is not set up properly to see data drives.

There has to be a setting if your software sees yours. Interesting point is that I don't tell Windows that there is a raid. This raid is at the hardware level so so may be on to something.

4. garioch7

garioch7 Registered Member

You're right that RAID is supposed to be at the hardware level, so it should be invisible to Windows. There is no setting in Paragon of which I am aware to tell it that you have a RAID drive.

I would still give the Computer Management trick a try and see if it makes any difference. Lots of strange stuff goes on "under the hood" of a Windows machine. I'd say it is worth a shot.

Hopefully someone more technically literate than me will come along with a solution, if the Computer Management try does not work.

Sorry, I can be of more help. Have a great day.

Regards,
    -Phil

5. Partitioned

Well this is interesting.

I had to reboot my machine, issue with updating Intel NIC drivers. I started the app and low and behold the Data drive is there, right at the top in DISK 0 position.

Lets call this one closed. As you said Windows can be a little flaky so the reboot cleared out some cob webs and the drives magically appeared.....

Got to wonder how we run our lives on this software. Thanks for responding.

:D :cool: :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.