raid 0 and true image 8 & server

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by roger waters, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger waters

roger waters Guest

hello.
    1st let me say i am happy with the ease of use of your product. but i believe i have found a fatial flaw. it is able to make images of my laptop fine with no problems at all and works great. however my desktop is a different story. I believe it is because i am running a 3ware escilade raid controller card with a 0 raid array and it causing your software to lock up when i attempt to either create or restore an image from the boot cd. i can create an image in windows (as the raid drivers are loaded) but when i attempt to restore the image on the drive from the boot cd it again locks up.
    i believe the raid drivers are the problem as it would appear your software does not support 3ware raid controller cards.
    perhaps you could include this in a future update. in the mean time i guess it's back to norton ghost (which i dont care for at all!!!) so hurry up and get this fixed.

2. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

This is a public forum and although it's read by Acronis you should report any perceived faults to Acronis support ( support@acronis.com ). That way you will get a quicker resolution. I'm unable to say whether your RAID controller is supported or not but many are. Again, Acronis can advise you on that and tell you if there is a workaround for your problem.

Good luck!

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. jstevemd

jstevemd Guest

My workaround was to save the image under windows. Reboot and remove any arrays and boot with the Acronis Boot CD. Restore the image to one of the hard drives in the array. Boot into windows. Fortunately, ASUS has a program that will allow rebuilding of the array under windows. Then I use partion magic to resize to the full drive(s) size. Carefull, because PartionMagic has a size limitation of 300GB, although I know there are other repartioners on the market with bigger handling capacities. Good Luck.

5. jstevemd

jstevemd Guest

Here is a better explaination of what I did to correct the problem from a previous thread:

As I mentioned earlier, I am using a RAID 0 with SATA drives (120GB/drive). The ASUS motherboard I am using has SiS RAID. Support was helpful in identifying that TI8 will not restore this image as the drivers are not open source (yet). My workaround is to backup the image. Then reboot and use the RAID array to delete the RAID 0. Boot from the TI8 boot CD, format one drive as primary. Restore the image to that drive. Reboot into Windows 2000 or XP, and then use the SiS RAID utility to restore the RAID 0 array. The computer will reboot, run the converstion utility and then boot nicely into Windows with a RAID 0 array. Takes a little time, but works great. You can even restore a much larger drive to the primary drive. My only complaint is why tech support did not suggest this to me and I will await the SiS RAID support in future versions. Hope this helps. As a side note Ghost DOSE NOT SUPPORT ANY RAID drives. Good luck. jstevemd

6. roger waters

roger waters Guest

jstevemd you must not be running a true RAID 0 array. you are running RAID 1 not RAID 0.. or maybe raid 5 ..RAID 1 is mirroring and raid 5 is stripping with parity (requires 3 HD's) you can rebuild an array on RAID 1 or 5 but not from 0!. RAID 0 is STRIPPING with NO parity. this means that every single file is broken into chunks (stripes). so if you set your raid array to run a 128K stripe as I do and you save a 256K file, this means that 128K of the file is stored on drive 0 and the other 128K is stored on drive 1. (so every file is stored in sections, and no single drive contains a complete file) this also means if you have 2 40 gig drives, you have a total of 80 gigs of space. what your talking about is making a copy of drive 0 over to drive 1. that's mirroring (raid 1) not stripping (raid 0). so if you run 2 40 gig drives, your total storage is still only 40 gigs with mirroring which is what it seems you are using. where as for me if I run 2 40 gig drives I have a total of 80 gigs. you can not build a raid 0 array from a single drive. in fact you can not rebuild a raid 0 array at all! there is no "fault tolerance" with raid 0 which is why many use raid 1 or raid 5. I use raid 0 strictly for performance. it is impossible as the files on the drive would have needed to be split when the data was stored onto the drive to begin with. this can not be done after the drive has data on it without a complete loss of all data as any change in the array or stripe size results in a complete loss of all data on a raid 0 array.
    this is why your offered solution would not work for me since I am stripping and not mirroring.
    I did attempt that "acpi=off noapic" when booting from the cd, after I did that, now my computer won't even load the gui, (so it's worse then when I started!

7. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

jstevemd is correct with his suggestion. You can configure your raid controller through BIOS so that there is NO raid. Then restore to a single drive. Then use the raid configuration utility to ADD the second drive to make a RAID 0 and it will convert your single drive to RAID 0 spread across the two drives. He is not suggesting that you restore to a single drive in a RAID 0 config he is suggesting that you configure as non-raid before attempting to restore.

8. jstevemd

jstevemd Guest

Exactly... I am using two 120 GB hard drives in a stripping array so that my total hard drive space is 240 GB. Restoring the image as I did above worked perfectly for me. Tested it several times before I placed the unit into service. Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.