Radlight no longer targets Adaware...

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Paul Wilders, Apr 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

http://216.194.92.96/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=226

No comment needed - other than: IMO it will be necessary to guard one's system. Who knows what vendor will come next.

regards.

paul

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Agreed. While this was the first, it CERTAINLY won't be the last. I would watch programs like KaZaA, etc. that are known the be full to the brim with spyware for any of this type of activity...

Sadly, I believe some companies may take this as a good thing:
    1) They get free publicity (doesn't matter if its good or bad for some of these companies - any publicity is good publicity to them).
    2.) Lots of people come to their sites and download their product - probably even just to test it out (to see if it really does perform malicious acts).
    3.) Forums become full with links to their site(s) (again, free publicity) in talks about the malicious activity.
    All these points might make this sort of action irresistable for some of the spyware companies of today (did I say Brilliant Digital?). Plus, now that RadLight did it, I will bet that a wave of viruses that delete AV programs will come out any day now...

I just hope these new threats are detected before they cause even bigger problems.

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Amen to that, javacool.

regards.

paul

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

How pathetic... "I just wanted to make a point"

ffs what BS man... He just discovered he was messing with the wrong crowd! And calling Ad-Aware a remover... yeah a remover of proggies that installed THEMSELVES w/out permission... Ridiculous reasoning. My Ad-Aware never removed anything that I put on my puter myself... barf!

5. snowman

snowman Guest

this was the second try by a software vendor to bundle hidden software.......an now way will it be the last...........

Spieing on computer users is a multi-billion dollar industry....an the spys are not just going to close shop an give that up......they are lossing money in a big way an these sort of exploits will soon become almost common place........the snakes are even warring among themself.......there is no longer "enough to go around"

people like javacool..pepi....will be the heros in this war.....people like Paul wilders who generously gives computer users a central point to download protecting computer software.....

how many years have the snakes been gathering information on computer users.......an still most computer users either don"t know its happening....feel to overwhelmed to stop it.....or just plain don't care.

this activity  has actually become acceptable by much of the world.......its never mentioned during computer classes in our schools.....an imo should be...its scary to think that the next generation is nearly already profiled.

yes there are answers...certainly there is....but leaders are needed desperately.......if its nothing more than one mother writing a letter to the local school
    board....one dad sending an e mail to a state attorney general..........we have the entire world at our finger tips...just use the keyboard............our voices can be heard.....over and over again.....

I have no problem saying to government representives "you were voted in..you can be voted out"
    its not what they want..its what the people want that matters.......has that been forgotton?

I am not and never will be a computer expert....but if javacool and pepi can so un-selfishly give of their time...the very least I can do...is do something!

snowman

6. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

When is a lie not a lie?  RadLight seems to be writing software in that ancient programming language, T*tal B*ll*cks.

Still, I'm surprised Igor backed down so quickly.  I wonder what the pressure was?  Legal?

7. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

He simply terribly misjudged the power of privacy advocates and privacy conscious users all over the net.
    I had warned him about this in email exchanges and he was quite defiant about his positions.  That is until he realized how quickly and drastically opposition from all sides jumped all over him.
    Hopefully (wishful thinking) software developers will realize that users are becoming more sophisticated and will not tolerate privacy invaders to do as they wish anymore and will fight back more than ever!
    He was warned, ignored it, actually challenged it would be more appropriate, and paid the price !

8. WhiteMateria

WhiteMateria Registered Member

Yeah ok whatever.  As far as I'm concerned something that removes Ad-aware is just like something that disables a virus scanner or a firewall.  Ad-aware gives me a little peace of mind and I love the program very much!  The idea that this person even attempted to remove a program without my permission is no shocker but certainly not ethical.  So ad-aware removes spyware componets.. big deal!  It was the reason I downloaded Ad-aware in the first place... To take back my privacy and get rid of crapy spyware that companies like RadLight try to get into my computer without consideration for the user.  Trying to go with the sneaky way first considering how if you had actually told users the program was going to do this the first time they might laugh and *gasps* deleate the RadLight Program after they click I do not accept.  At least with ad-aware I'm removing something I want to remove and even then it offers choices for me to keep, backup, or remove the spyware components.  Guess that what he was doing was not exactly the same no matter how in the right he thought he was by prevailing such an attack on anti-spyware.  RadLight has my vote of no confidence and I shall not be looking to them again for any future needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.