Race condition with era.exe?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Geosoft, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Hey All,

I'm currently on hold with ESET support, but I was just curious if anyone else has encountered a race condition with ERA.EXE at 100% (using all cores of my server) and not releasing unless the server reboots.

Hoping that support team has a fix, or at least I can supply some debugging information to correct this issue.

2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Never seen this on any of my servers running ERA 3.x - I only have 4.x running on one virtual machine at this moment and it is still running fine.

3. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Have you tried just restarting the ERA service? Use something like process explorer to see which threads/libraries are jamming up the process when it acts up.

4. Geosoft

I actually found out from ESET Support that there's a bug with ERA and Windows 2003 that they are fixing in the next release. The solution is to restart the service or to downgrade back to version 3.

5. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe Registered Member

Another nail in the coffin. I have no grief to report about the ESET client, but the console is unusable at this point.

6. Geosoft

My experience thus far is that if I leave the ERA Client open and connected to the Server, the era.exe process on the server will go into a race condition and does not seem to get out of it. Killing the era.exe process on the server will have the Windows Service restart the server and everything is back to normal.

I can't remember where I found this, but I have read that there's a possibility that the ERA HTTP Mirroring service could be to blame. Although, I do not see how, I just recently turned off the ERA HTTP Service and starting to use IIS as of late day yesterday.

7. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

I tracked that down with process explorer and saw that it was the web service thread that serves updates to clients that was running away. I was dealing with the same thing you guys are describing and cutting over to IIS months ago has completely fixed the problem in my environment. And frankly I am more comfortable running IIS and managing it's patches through WSUS than some old version of tomcat that gets updated roughly "whenever".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.