RA with NOD32 Rollout - Help

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jeremynj, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremynj

jeremynj Registered Member

I have a few misunderstandings which I hope someone can help me clarify. I am looking to roll-out NOD32 across about 50 customer networks. We are NOT permanently connected to any of these customers, so I understand I cannot house a single RA server at my premises (on a dmz)(which was my original thought). I am curious at finding a strategy to be able to create, and push OS-specific packages out to all these endpoints. Any ideas would be helpful.

My second misunderstanding: Why can I suppress NOD 32 from alerting me to the Windows updates on the client, but I cannot accomplish this when I create the XML via the RA? Even when I reconfigure this on the client, and export the XML from the client, then push the new XML from the RA with a new install - the default critical alerting stays on. This is an issue for us because it raises flags at the user level.

Thanks,

Jeremy

2. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

Hi,

Re: your first point, you CAN do this, provided you can do an initial install to the clients, either manually or by getting them to download a ZIP file containing your .exe and a cfg.xml in the same folder. You then make sure that the "remote admin server" is set up as a FQDN and your firewall has 2222 open from the internet to the RA. The clients will then "phone home" at the predetermined frequency (in the config) and you can manage them, push updates, trigger remote upgrades etc.

This is exactly what I do.....

Jim

3. jeremynj

jeremynj Registered Member

Thanks Jim. So I will just poke a hole to my RA server and open 222. Could I access this box via IP vs. FQDN or is that a limitation by ESET?

Im also still looking for a way to configure my xml to supress the windows updates notifications.

Jeremy

4. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

IP or FQDN is fine, though FQDN gives you scope to change it in the future. I would also use a high port (e.g. 52000) and port-forward to 2222 to obfuscate.

We use a generic FQDN (e.g. remote.ourdomain.com) and a high port.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.