R-Firewall ?? Anybody use this thing?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Is anyone using this free firewall? The web site looks like they try to get you to purchase their R-guard as a companion. But SSM looks like it could do the trick as well. Any reviews would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

http://www.r-firewall.com/

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

There are a few old reviews on this Firewall, some favorable and some not. It would be nice to know if a newer version of it is out and is any good. The website makes it sound promising, but I wouldn't install it until one the resident guru's way in and gives the ok.

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I only know this company from their product 'R-STUDIO', which is one of the best undelete/file-recovery applications out there. Can't say anything regarding their firewall.

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Some user-reviews can be found here.

5. waters

waters Registered Member

How light is it

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello all,

I thought I had posted info on this firewall. I do not think it as been updated (for quite some time). But I will re-install to re-check my earlier findings.

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

3 processes in total:-
    R-firewall.exe(main prg) 9,664k (peak 11,000k)
    R-Protectstudio(UI) 11,000K (only active when UI showing)
    RTT-CRC-service(new module(dll) detection) 1,946K

So without UI active, currently using 12,000-15,000k
    With UI active using around 24,000k

8. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I am surprised to find, considering that there is a check on loading modules into running internet active programs, that there is no check on the actual program that gain internet access. It fails the leaktest 1.2, there is not even a check by this firewall as to the location of an application.

R-Firewall certainly needs an updtate, I installed v1.05.53, if anyone knows of a later build, let me know.

9. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I tried it and uninstalled it fairly soon afterward. My perception was that it was real buggy and very unstable; not a polished product like other free firewalls that are available. Has been awhile, so can't remember many more particulars, but didn't feel it lived up to what was claimed on it's website.

10. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi KDNeese,

I didn`t find it unstable on my setup, but certainly a little buggy.

11. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I guess what I mean by unstable is that it just didn't seem to work right and at times seemed to have a mind of its own. One thing I do remember is that it couldn't keep the rules in order. I would create rules, place then in the order I wanted, then it would arbitrarily change the order, ending up in an app being blocked as a result. Or, I would create a rule, and the rule simply wouldn't take effect. For example, wouldn't let my NOD32 update no matter what permissions were created. I tried playing with it for about a half a day until I gave up in frustration trying to get the thing to work.

12. acr1965

Thanks for the help. I'd say it's safe to pass on this one for a while yet.

13. acr1965

Well my curiosity got the better of me with this one and I tried it anyway. BIG MISTAKE!! After trying the free Outpost firewall (and getting the BSOD) I decided to give the R-firewall a shot. It ran fine for a while but then my computer shut down suddenly. The cause was the R-firewall which on reboot actually opened my Outlook for an email to be sent to them about what just happened. So the email is sent off and then it came back as undeliverable:

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: 53 NT/5.01/2600/SP2: Blue screen
    Sent: 3/24/2007 8:43 PM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'R-tt support' on 3/24/2007 8:43 PM
    None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient."

That was two BSOD's in a row from two firewalls. Back to Comodo for me.

14. guysmilie

guysmilie Registered Member

Total crap. Caused XP sp2 to crash repeatedly. I can't imagine why anyone would use this when other free, stable fw's are available that are updated regularly ect.

Guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.