Qwant Wants to Be Alternative to Google

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Osaban, Jan 1, 2015.

1. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

They obtain enterprises because it is simpler to buy technology than to develop it. What do they do that with that tech ? They integrate it into their services like chrome, android, their search engine, their advertising programs, etc. Why ? To keep/increase the user base so that they can make more profit.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Well pretty much any country has its own Google, particularly big countries like China or Russia, like Yandex search, browser, email and so on.
    Well Google is focused on a personalized search, if you are an anonymous user, who always deletes cookies and such, Google can never know, what you want.
    I have tried to use Google based search engines like StartPage, but it failed to deliver, what Google offers me, I am logged in at all times to my Google account.

3. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Honesty, it's been a year since I switched from vanilla Google to DuckDuckGo and StartPage. Switch was refreshing, and works. But whatever works for whoever else- we don't have to be clones of one another.

But, but I'm tired of both of them. :'( Not that any are cartoon, Disney-like depictions of evil, but I do believe the whole George Carlin "It's a big club, and you and me are not in the big club. They don't really care about us." way of looking at things.

Search engines, as we've learned, are a wonderful tool to paint a picture of someone's entire life history. I'd like to see all of them do things better to protect that type of information.

4. mhf

mhf Registered Member

At the bottom of the page of qwant.com -> Huawei : that's a NO for me.

5. @Rasheed187

Agree that the default column display is overwhelming and makes it harder to find the information you are looking for. I use the list format, which presents the result in a more familiar fashion.

Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2015
  6. guest

guest Guest

It's not that I am looking for a new watch by using Google. I'm looking for a specific information for my research, but I get something completely different as my search results. It's like asking Google a mug of arabica coffee with non-dairy creamer and then it gives you an octopus that was being stranded on a Caribbean shore.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

That applies too, if Google would knew, that you prefer research links, it would prioritize those results, instead it just searches based on the common criteria.
    It actually annoys me sometimes, I am looking for a local thing, I include SK tag and such, but it gives me results in English, because of it, it really depends.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes I overlooked that, but it's still too slow for my taste, plus the site does not work without scripting, at least you can turn it off on Google.

9. 142395

142395 Guest

Same as some members here, Qwant can't be alternative for me at all ATM. The reason I mainly use Google is not for speed or interface, but its amount of search results. I sometimes search for academic or other minor subject and often get a few, or even non result even in Google, so I combine some other engine but usually get worse result. There're some other better engine on a few specific subject, but no alternative for general search.

As to personalization, I found that is just an disturbance for me as I'm almost random internet surfer and it will be hard to find consistent tendency from my long-term search history.

As phalanaxus says, it's no wonder at all for such big company, it's not quite specific to Google. You mentioned Snowden in earlier post, but many people and media seemed to overestimated what NSA actually can/could. But I partly agree with you and fear about Google's too much power and potential privacy invasion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.