quicktime plugin for firefox?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by imdb, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

hi folks
    i wanna view qt content on webpages but don't wanna install quicktime software.
    there used to be an alternative sw, namely "quicktime alternative" but it seems it's discontinued.
    what are the options to view quicktime media with firefox browser w/o installing qt sw from apple? an alternative like "qt alternative" which is smaller in size than qt itself?
    thanks in adv.

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

That is an option but it is almost 2 years old. What security risk would that bring vs. an actual up to date version of QuickTime?

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I haven´t had security problems with this plugin.

I am now using IE10 (Windows 7) with Enhanced Protected Mode, and when I open some pages a warning appears about this plugin -- it seems it is not compatible with EPM. The options are to disable EPM for the page, or to "ignore", which is the one I choose.

I didn´t know that so many pages (example: nytimes.com) use the QuickTime plugin. What do they use it for? And when I choose "ignore" (that is, ignore the plugin) nothing happens and the page works well. Maybe the message is an error.

5. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I just install the latest QuickTime and disable the qttask.exe from startup

works like a charm

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Could be an error. I haven't had QuickTime or Java installed in about 2 years now and it does not affect my browsing in the least. Any QuickTime files I had downloaded I converted to another format. If I were to install it though I think I would more likely do as berryracer suggested, just for the sake of being up to date. That is a personal choice and I am not criticizing anyone else's.

7. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

From the QuickTime Alternative developers:

QuickTime Installation Guide - How to install QuickTime and make it ''bloat free''
    -http://codecguide.com/quicktime_installation.htm-

8. imdb

imdb Registered Member

thanks guys, think i'll pass n go on w/o qt, it's already become a bloatware anyway.
    cheers

9. mapsonx

mapsonx Registered Member

My Firefox plugin check reveals that the plugin installed by the latest versions of Quicktime Alternative or QT-Lite are outdated and has a security vulnerability

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/

So is my only option to use Quicktime 7?

I read the good advice offered here, but it seems to be based on what was believed to be a discontinued product.

What is your opinion of continuing to use Quicktime Alternative or QT-Lite?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.