quickly stops the backup

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ajcohn, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajcohn

ajcohn Registered Member

I have drive backup 9 running it with Bart PE rescue disk. As soon as I start a backup i get the message while its getting cluster bit maps that "File system with allocation errors due to cross linked files.

I've run diskcheck and Western Digital DLGDIAG on this pentium 4 with IDE HD. Neither find any errors.

I can run it bit by bit, but the archive is the size of the total hard drive. partition bit by bit doesn't work either.

Please, any suggestions,

Alan

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Alan,

Please run CHKDSK with /f key enabled to find and fix errors in file system. It's the best way to fix cross-linked files error.
    Please run CHKDSK for all partitions several times and perform defragmentation vis Windows built-in tool.

3. ajcohn

ajcohn Registered Member

Thanks, I've done both including running chkdsk /f after reboot three times, doing defrag and rerunning chkdsk another time. Neither found any errors or problems, and as a result no repairs were made.

Ghost successfully made an image, but did mention that there were "bad blocks." I'd prefer to be able to use Drive Backup.

I have no other indication that there are cross linked files and suspect that's a generic error message that comes up when Drive Backup is confronted by some kind of logical error that it can't digest. I wish there was either some kind of diagnostic I could run since the Western Digital didn't find anything wrong either or find some way to get Drive BAckup to successfully create the disk image.

Alan

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

chkdsk / f checks for filesystem errors.

You might try chkdsk /r that looks for bad sectors.

Otherwise, Seatools for Windows will likely run on your drive - see if that says anything.

5. ajcohn

ajcohn Registered Member

thanks for the thoughts. I always run check disk with /f and /r from a reboot.

The idea of using Seatools could have been potentially very helpful.

I ran both the short and long Seatools scans and no errors or problems were found.

Still, I can not get Drive Backup to get past the "getting cluster bit map" stage before it shuts down with the error message.

Although the disk runs perfectly well and I haven't been able to otherwise detect any problems with the hard drive tools or chkdisk-- it is a previously restored partition and I wonder if an error was introduced at that time.

thanks again for you thoughts,

Alan

6. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Alan,

Could you please contact Paragon Support team. Go to My Account - Send New Support Request (https://www.paragon-software.com/my-account/support/sendRequest.htm) and describe your issue in details.
    Also you can attach LOGs and screenshot of Disk Management (support team need this info for trouble-shooting)
    a screen shot of Windows Disk Management tool:
    * right-click on 'My computer' and choose 'Manage';
    * select 'Disk Management' in 'Storage';
    * maximize the window;
    * click 'PrintScreen' key on the keyboard to capture the screen into the Windows Clipboard;
    * use any graphical editor (Windows Paint, for instance) to paste the image and save it as JPG, GIF or PNG file;
    find four LOG files: "PWLOG.TXT", "STUBACT.LOG", "BioNTlog.TXT" and "CDB.LOG" in "C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\[Program Name]\Program"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.