Quick VirtualBox / Linux AMD64 question

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by philby, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello

I've just installed latest VB on Win 7 64 bit - thought I'd have a little crack at Linux Mint (complete beginner).

I've got the i386 iso up and running in a VB machine - no problems there.

However, when booting a second VB machine from the AMD64 iso (just out of curiosity) I'm getting this message:

Capture.PNG

Sorry to be so thick - but can anyone explain in ultra-simple terms why the 64bit version of the distro won't startup?

I've checked the Enable IO APIC box under Settings > Storage in VB as per the VB manual here:
    Capture2.PNG

Am I missing something blindingly obvious here? (For example, re. point 2 in the manual extract above - was I supposed to do something here? I assumed that as my hardware is already 64 bit enabled, I wouldn't need to do anything at all).

Thanks in advance.

philby

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

what computer make and model do you have?
    what processer do you have?
    your processer needs to support VT extensions (hardware visualization) to be able to use a 64bit operating system using visualization software.

there should be an option in the bios to enable it.

some computer manufacturers haven't given an option in bios to enable vt even thou the processor supports it, for example my dell inspiron 1545 laptop.

3. philby

philby Registered Member

lodore - thanks for replying.

It's a Toshiba U500 10z with a Core 2 Duo 2GHz P7350.

I'll take a look in the bios when I've come out of Returnil...

philby

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Your machine (CPU) needs to support "Hardware Virtualization" for a x64 O/S VBox installation to work.

5. philby

philby Registered Member

Thanks both - I ran Securable and got this:

Capture.PNG

Understood now!

Thanks again.

philby

6. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Ahh, lodore mentioned hw virtualization (didn't see that before I posted). It's the same thing I ran into with VBox on my AMD x64 machine :(

7. philby

philby Registered Member

Both of you pointed me the right way - I was lost... o_O

Just need to get seamless mode working now and then grapple with the Terminal etc. :doubt:

I can feel another late night coming on...

philby

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Try the VBox manual here, pg 68, under 4.3.2.1. You can probably skip the “sudo apt-get install dkms” and move on to steps 2-3. That’s what worked for me, except I could never get the shared folder functionality to work in a Linux guest. Installing the Guest Additions is necessary to get seamless mode and shared folders to work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.