Quick Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Gamer_001, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamer_001

Gamer_001 Registered Member

Is spybot worth keeping?

I have paid license to each of these programs:

-Trojanhunter
    -A-Squared
    -Ewido
    -NOD32 Anti-Virus
    -Kasperky Internet Security (I always use OPF vs K-AH)
    -BoClean
    -System Safety Monitor
    -Outpost 4.0
    -RegSupreme Registry Cleaner
    -Cyberscrub Encryption software
    -Cybercide Complete Hard Drive Encryption before throwing it away
    -TDS-3 3.2.1 (It may be outdated, but it can deep search program memory)

KIS (K-AH) Its nice to know that its their should I ever want to activate it

Freebies that I'd never give up
    -Brute Force Uninstaller (Those nasty programs that leave junk behind)
    -HiJackThis 1.99.1

Programs in question:
    Spybot and Lavasoft Ad-Aware (Old programs that I just kept around)

Well, the time has come once again to build a new reinstall 4.7gb DVD-5 backup CD. In doing such I am, removing all the programs that are either outdated or replaced by newer programs.

I would like to know, is there a reason for keeping spybot around with all of the paid programs above, can it do something the above programs cannot?

Thanks

2. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

It seems you already have much more than you really need. I have been running only a firewall, NOD32 and SSM (along with MVPS hosts file) and have not gotten so much as a tracking cookie on my computer for a couple of years. My experience is that NOD32 catches more malware in real-time than all the others combined. In fact, NOD catches it before the others even have a chance. I believe that running an AS or AT in real-time is a waste of resources, as NOD32 covers more ground than the others. I still have Spybot and Ad-Aware installed, but have found them to be pretty much worthless for some time, and haven't used them in ages. NOD32 and SSM will beat the crap out of anything that tries to get on your computer (and that isn't already blocked by Outpost). My suggestion would be to save your money and use the free versions of everything except, of course, NOD32. I hope you aren't running all those apps resident, as that is a major drain on your system, and there is a ton of overlap with a good possibility of system conflicts, especially if the apps are running at the kernel level. Not trying to be critical - just trying to help you weed out what is unecessary as well as put a few extra dollars back in your wallet.

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

With the software you already have spybot isn't needed, heck half the products you have arent needed.
    Óutpost + nod32 + ssm is more than sufficient.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.