Quick question, possible buyer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by User__, Apr 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User__

User__ Guest

Hi,

I'm very close to purchasing TrueImage as Norton Ghost 9.0 is TERRIBLE.

However, I need to know if it works okay with SATA hard drives. I have 2 HDDs, a WD Raptor (SATA) with windows etc on, and an IDE maxtor drive. I would plan on creating a backup image of the SATA drive and storing it on the IDE drive. Would I then be able to restore the complete system back to the SATA drive.

Im only asking this becuase there were SATA issues with Norton Ghost 2003, so I bought Ghost 9.0 but it's the worst piece of software I've seen - hate it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi User_,

True Image doesn't have a problem with SATA drives. It's the motherboard SATA chipset and whether drives are connected as a RAID array or not that can sometimes cause problems after booting from the Acronis boot rescue CD/floppies.

Best thing is to download and install the free trial version. Create a bootable rescue CD or floppies and then create an image of the whole of your system drive. Use the Check Image Wizard to verify the image. Provided the image isn't corrupt, boot from the bootable rescue CD/floppies and follow the Restore Image Wizard up to, but not including, clicking the "Proceed" button. If everything checks out correctly up to this point then you should have no problem with the Full version of TI.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello User__,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Acronis True Image does support most of SATA controllers. Could you please let us know the full model name of your controller? Also you may follow Menorcaman's advice and download free trial version from our site. After that please create Acronis Bootable CD and boot the computer with it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. User__

User__ Guest

Hi,

Thanks for the tip Menorcaman, I'll give that a try later on tonight.

Acronis Support, thankyou for the reply. I hope this is the information you requested:

Motherboard - Abit IC7 (Intel i875 chipset)
    In the device manager, under IDE Controllers, other than the primary/secondard IDE channels I have:

-Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24D1
    -Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 24DB

When I installed windows, I had to insert a diskette for the 82801EB controller, these devices use iastore.sys

I don't use RAID.

Thankyou :)

5. Acronis Support

Hello User__,

Your controller is fully supported in the latest builds of Acronis True Image 8.0. However, if you are still not sure you may try free demo version to make sureyour drives are recognized.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. User__

User__ Guest

Thank you very much for replying so fast,

Glad to know it's supported; though I'm downloading the demo as Im typing this to make sure, as suggested - thankyou.

I'll let you know how I get on

7. User__

User__ Guest

I am AMAZED at how good this software is.
    Backed up the SATA drive, and restored it quickly, simply and without any issues.

I'm so sick of major companies, like Symantec trading on their name only. Churning out terrible software yearly knowing that people will buy it because they believe it's the best.

Way to go Acronis, your software looks a whole lot nicer than the competition, works flawlessly, and uses a fraction of the memory compared to the competition.

TI8: 212k
    Norton Ghost 9: 29Mb

I'm sold, and will be recommending your products to friends/family.
    So now im going to buy your software from the site and would like to know if one license covers one *user* or one *computer*. Ie I have 2 computers, both owned by me. If I wanted to use TI8 on both of these computers, would I have to buy it twice?

Thank you for making such a good product - and backing it up with excellent support :D

8. Acronis Support

Hello User__,

According to our End-User License Agreement you can use single license of Acronis True Image not more than on a single computer. You may read the Agreement prior to purchasing the software if you download User's Guide from our site.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.