Quick question about ShadowProtect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by bgoodman4, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have my backup schedule set to do a full backup every Monday at 6:00 PM. In my SP backup history I see the job starting at 6:00 PM and ending at 6:08 PM but in Explorer its showing as ending at 5:08 PM. Not a big deal (the point is the job was done after all) but I am puzzled by the hour difference being reported.

Fist, is this normal?

Second, any idea why there may be a discrepancy?

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Here is an idea! How about daylight saving time change. Windows automatically switched an hour back, but SP's scheduled task reporting did not.

3. STC EU

STC EU Registered Member

Hi bgoodman4,

What are the circumstances in regards the backup? Are you sending the backup image to a different computer / server ? If so, is it set to the same hour or timezone as the computer you are backing up?

Thanks,
    Mark

4. bgoodman4

Nice guess but the event took place Oct 26 at 6:00 PM (or 5 PM depending one which apps time clock you believe).

5. bgoodman4

Its all on the same PC, I have 3 drives on one PC, an OS drive, a data drive, and a back-up drive. Beyond that there are no special circumstances that I am aware of.

I am attaching some screen shots.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      106.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      152.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      139.2 KB
      Views:
  6. LenC

LenC Registered Member

bgoodman4-

Look at your b001 chain that was created on 10/26. Why is the file that was created at 4:30 named d_vol-b001-i08.spi? If you had been creating two per hour starting at 8:00am, the file name should be named something like d_vol-b001-i17.spi.

This doesn't answer your question, but it might lead to an answer. Was your schedule somehow disrupted on 10/26?

Also, what happens every Monday at 6:00pm when your schedule produces both a full and incremental backup?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  7. bgoodman4

I suspect the reason it is numbered like that is because the PC was not on at 8:00 am. I am not sure when I turned it on but I do often work very late into the night so I set the incremental the way I did.

As to the simultaneity of the full and incremental at 6 PM thats a good point. Perhaps I should change the schedule so there is no potential conflict. (I will do this now and see what happens at 6:00 PM today as there is another scheduled full backup due then.

This still, in way that I can see, explains the fact that SP is recording the time of creation as 6:08 (I assume thats the completion time) and Explorer is showing 5:08 PM.

EDIT: I changed the full back-up time to 6:05 PM, I will report what happens with the times in a few hours.

8. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I agree with you - I don't have a solid explanation for what shows on your screenshots. One other issue I did notice is your setting to execute missed backup jobs. That might be creating problems - if you boot up at 9:45am, you would have 4 missed incrementals that presumably are all trying to execute - that might produce unpredictable results.

I use a schedule similar to yours, but I turn off the option to execute missed backups. I'm not at home in front of the computer with SP on it, so I can't tell you exactly how to turn it off - if I remember correctly it is an advanced option when you set up the job.

9. bgoodman4

I just checked and it appears that "execute missed back-ups" does not apply to incrementals (at least in the way you are suggesting). There are gaps in the history which coincide with missed backups (the time the PC was off). I suspect that rather than running a bunch of missed incrementals at boot one incremental might be run. This makes perfect sense as there would be no change to the drive during the time the PC was off so there would be nothing to update beyond any change that may have taken place between the time of the last incremental before the PC was shut down and the time it was in fact shut down.

10. bgoodman4

For whatever reason the times in todays full back-up are the same. I will keep an eye on this but I guess alls well.

11. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I wish I could have been more help to you - I ran out of ideas on this and am really stumped. Hopefully someone else will come up with something - I'd love to understand why that happened.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You aren't anywhere, where the time change might have affected you.

13. bgoodman4

Nope, as noted the event in question took place on Oct 26 at 6 PM so time change can not be a factor.

14. bgoodman4

No problem, I just glad it seems correct now. Perhaps it did have something to do with the simultaneous incremental and full back-up setting as suggested above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.