Quick question about GesWall.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by pugmug, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

I have never used this program and would like to know if it can be set to not start when your o/s starts but used on demand?

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I don't know, but it's not advisable IMO. You need GeSWall to keep track of the downloaded files. But, you don't need to use on every browser session. If you set it to pop, say no, and presto, not sandboxed (i know you figured that one out yourself, but i think it's best to say it anyway).

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can disable the security level to LOW( Isolate only jailed applications), and that will disable it. When u want to enable it again, change security level to default( Isolate known aplications)

Attached Files:

• 1.GIF
      1.GIF
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
  4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

lol, an obvious answer that i forgot. I don't use that. THX aigle.
    By the way, i'm starting to think the missing feature of not dropping the session makes one GeSWall' dependent. If i want to uninstall it, malware will stay there. Not a major issue, but, you know... uncomfortable. Lucky for me Prevx1 is here.:) . Of course uninstalling it is the same as not having used it, without the harm done. But in comparison to other products, it's a MUST have feature.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Same trick my son is using on his PC when gaming on trusted servers,. Because it is very unlikely you will have any jailed applications (most will be trust & auto-isolate).

His setup:
    Antivir free
    Sensive Guard free
    Cyberhawk free
    GeSWall pro paid

6. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

It seems to be a nice program and thank's for your input so far. Does anyone know the answer to my question?

7. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

Yes, you need to set the GesWall Service to Manual and disable the geswall UI through AutoRuns, or similar apps. Then if you want to run it on-demand, start the GesWall service and UI and, after using, kill the UI process and stop the service.... optionally, you can make two batch files to automate the steps... :)

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It should work but will need a rebbot to start the service I think.

Another way just to disbale GesWall is Right click GesWall tray Icon and check Disable GesWall Policy. U can re-enable it at any time.
    This of course will not stop loading of GW on start up. I am not sure why u insist to stp its loading as it,s not heavy on resources.

9. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Thank you people for your answers to my question.As far as why I ask, this is my reply.I will have full control over any program or updates that install on my computer's at all times or they will not be installed.Good or bad the computer's are owned by me, not the software installed on them.This habit of mine has worked very well over the years in keeping a clean,well running system.

10. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

pardon me, but I think that in most cases, services can be stopped and started without the need to reboot, otherwise, it defeats the purposes of having a "Manual" option for the way a service starts, "Start" and "Stop" buttons in Services.msc and having the "net start/stop" commands.. GesWall service included. I actually tried what I said in post #7 before posting it.. but I do agree with aigle that it doesn't hurt much setting it to run at OS start up, but, at least, it's good for some users, who don't like it that way, to know a workaround is available. :)

11. korb

korb Registered Member

anyone still have the version that work on fat32 system.the new 2.5 version works only NTFS.

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@pugmug: I imagine you have been through this already:
    Just some observations.
    :thumb:

Your question relates as to why I am using sandboxie:
    >Despite aigle's recent tests which were very very interesting:
    >https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=172653
    >great thread in the old PG forums referenced there( I miss Wayne and nautilius :'( )
    >and tzuks reply:
    >http://sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1418
    >which is reassuring :)

Sandboxie puts a service and a driver in autoruns but does not have to start up at boot by default.

You can sandbox any exe at any time and get out of the sandbox at any time without reboot or going back into config.
    You can run any app outside of the sandbox.
    You can set "closed path" for any defaults you wish.
    I have shortcuts as required to various apps or just use Rclick shell extension.
    :cool:

Tremendous flexibility.
    Peter2150 has run Morguds DFK and a trojan killdisc in a sandbox and been protected.
    Heh: :blink: anything that can get through the sandbox prolly wont be found by anything else on my box :gack:

If you only want to run say a browser: get the free sandboxie: works good/the same: just some limited features.

Prolly the only other "sandbox" I would consider might be DefenceWall.
    (waiting for v2 ) if you want overkill do both: free sandboxie and DW. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.