Quick Links Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Uffbros, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

Does yours? If it does why doesn't mine? I use Firefox.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Those menus are all javascript driven. They work fine in Firefox and IE for me so long as javascript is enabled. Can you check that setting?

3. Uffbros

Uffbros Registered Member

Not sure what one fixed it but I deleted all the stuff in options...cookies....cache...passwords.......history....download manager..etc...And it fixed the problem. Thanks

4. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Good Morning everyone
    I have had a real problem with Wilders loading.This happens often anymore.I have to wait about 5 minutes for each page to load.Sometimes it's fine but more and more it's happening.It has taken me 45 minutes to post this.I would say it's the computer but I dont have any problem with anything else.I keep all the temp files,cache,etc., and everything cleaned out.Alot of times I just give up it's so slow,then other times it's ok.Sometimes I can restart the pc and that fixes it,other times not.I've restarted 4 times today to no avail.I thought I would ask if anyone knows why this happens.This is my favorite place and it's so aggravating that I cant read posts or post without it taking such a long time.This morning is one of the worst times I've had.Please help!thanks so much!(will check and see if anyone has any ideas when I come home this eve)
    Rita

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Rita,

Is that only with Wilders?
    Don't you get a timed out popup?

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Gerard
    It only happens with Wilders.I just signed on and it's doing ok right now.It happens alot anymore though.One time it will work fine,next it's acting up again.When it does happen,after taking 5 minutes to load and it finaly does load,none of the smilies or quick links work,I click them and they do nothing.I dont get any timed out popup.

7. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

My problem has something to do with IE,I'm useing firefox now and it's working ok--tried with IE and it was doing the same thing just now--taking 5 minutes to load.Can someone tell me how I can get the IE browser to work right?I have cleaned all the temp files,and all the history etc.,and it hasnt helped any.Anything else I can do?Thanks

8. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

I'm not sure what the problem with your IE could be, Rita. Is this happening instantly, or does it take awhile before you see it starting to slow down? Also, does it happen while in a lengthy, image-intense thread (like the one's in TenForward) or does it happen anywhere on the forum?

I'm wondering what your cache is set at? Under IE's Tools -> Temporary Internet Files -> Settings -> what is the number you have the 'Amount of disk space to use' set at? (I'm grasping for possibilities) :doubt:

Another thought - have you done any critical updates prior to this happening?

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Snap
    This happens only here at Wilders.and it happens when I first log on,if it's going to happen,then after it loads the first page,after 5 or 10 minutes,anything I click on just sits there for another 5 minutes and says opening page,and it's at least that long again before anything opens again.I just looked and the cache is set at 55mb.I have always had it at that setting I guess,have never changed it.I have had no updates for a very long time and have installed no new programs.Should I change the cache settings?Thank you so much for replying,I'm going crazy wondering whats wrong.

10. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

No, you don't have to change the cache size, many have it set lower and have no problems.

(still grasping at possibilities here) Rita, just so I understand correctly, you are not having this problem with slow loading of the pages until after you log in, or is this happening even if you are not logged in? If it is only happening after you log in, then could you check your user control panel and see if you have the 'Standard Editor' chosen under Miscellaneous Options.
    User CP -> Edit Options -> scroll down to the bottom of the page and under "Miscellaneous Options" choose the "Standard Editor - Extra formatting controls" (if you don't have that one already chosen).

Also, you use AOL, yes? Do you use the AOL browser (forgive me, I'm not that familiar with AOL) and is there any possibility of there being a filtering/setting that could be interferring?

Another thought, you could try defragging your harddrive and see if that helps things to speed up. I'm sure you've done all the security scans to ensure your system is clean.

11. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

I have standard Editor chosen under the miscellaneous options.Also I keep the hard drive defragged,keep all the junk files deleted every day,I have a prog-wincleaner to do this also use crap cleaner.It started doing this a little while back although infrequently at first--now it's happening every day at least once.The odd thing is sometimes it works just fine :doubt: but it's getting worse the past couple of days.There could be,I guess,an aol setting that is intererfing but I dont know what it would be and nothing is changed about the settings that I know of.I have no problem at all on any site except here.Wouldnt you know it--the place I want to be the most lol.another thing i forgot to mention is after the page loads finaly, none of the quick links or smilies will work even then,I click them and the page just jumps around.Thanks Snap :)

12. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Do you use Proxomitron with Filters?

Cheers :D

13. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Blackspear
    no,am not useing Proxomitron with Filters.

14. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Well,this morning everything is working ok.When I had been cleaning junk I discovered I hadnt been deleting cookies.I had 884 cookies so I deleted all of them.I dont know if this is the reason it's working again or not,but in any case,everything is ok now-dont know if it will last or not :D

15. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi Rita :)
    It may pay you to use the mru blaster in whereby you will be able to keep some cookies and delete the rest automatically. It"s a very good piece of software and can be found here

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

Regards

16. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Nick
    Thank you very much for the link!

Downloaded it and used it--like this prog.Thanks

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.