questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bethrezen, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi all

im just wondering if anyone knows of a way i can tweak my internet settings so that i get a faster download speed see i have a 64 k conection but yet only get a 7 k download speed what gives shouldnt i get a 64k download speed ??

any ideas

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

In a perfect world and if you lived next door to the download site you might get a little faster but not much. when I had dial up internet connection I ask my isp the same question and was told that on their best day they could only supply 53k. something to do with some regulation they had to abide by. I had to go with with dsl to get any speed, now it cooks download at :) 170k plus. They had a faster option but it always comes down to MORE MONEY :(

3. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I think the perfect analogy to that question would be "What's making the Check Engine light come on? There can be 100 or more different reasons for slow speed on dialup. Too far from phone company transmission lines, volumn of Internet traffic, general speed and condition of your phone line, even what day of the week it is. In summary, dialup stinks. :'(

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That it does. It is to bad those dialup excelerators don't work as adverti :psed.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Can you clarify the exact the metrics here a little? I'm guessing you mean that your connection is 64kbps. But, I'm not sure if you mean that your download rate is 7kbps or 7KB/sec. There's a big difference!

Connections are usually advertised and sold in bit rates, like a 56kbps (kilo bits per second) dialup. But, download tools often report download rates in KB (kilo bytes per second). IE reports download speeds in KB. The difference is that there are 8 bits in a byte.

Leaving to the side for a moment limitations in connection technology that leaves you with something less than 56kpbs usable speed on today's standard dialup, and forgetting overhead and all else, just to keep it simple...

A 56kbps connection will yield at best 7KB/sec downloads. ( 56 divided by 8 ). Your 64kbps connection is a little faster, but not counting compression, I doubt with overhead you'll do too much better than 7KB/sec either.

6. Bethrezen

hi

yeah you are right my connecting is 64kb/sec isdn or 64.000bps isdn

and my download speed is roughly 7.500 bytes/sec or 7.5kb/sec on average varies a lil but usually i never get higher than 8.000 bytes/sec or 8kb/sec

see I'm just wondering why if i have a 64.000bps connection i only get a 7.500bps download speed

which brings me back to my question is there is anyway i can tweak my settings so i can get it to run a lil faster ??

see from my point of view a 64.000bps or 64kb/sec connection should equal a download speed of 64.000bps or 64kb/sec maybe a lil less if ya factor in over heads for actually connecting me to the other end and traffic etc so say an end download speed of 56.000bsp or 56kb/sec not 7.500 bytes/sec or 7.5kb/sec

coz iv tried download accelerators that claim to increase download speed by like 200 to 500 % and iv tried these connection tweakers that claim to do the same and have gotten precisely no where so I'm wondering if it is infact passable

7. LowWaterMark

It sounds like you are still mixing the metrics (bits versus bytes)...

Your ISDN connection is 64kbps or 64000bps. The "b" is "bits" not bytes.

Your download speeds are 7500 bytes/second. Bytes are 8 times bigger than bits. So, 7500 bytes/second is equal to 60000bps. ( 7500 * 8 ) That is almost at the theoretical limit of your ISDN lines speed.

If you see an Internet Explorer download window (like in the image below) that says 7.5KB/sec then you are getting full speed from your 64kbps ISDN line.

Attached Files:

8. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) Hello again!

Whatever the nomenclature a download rate of 7 Kb/sec on dialup is still pretty slow. I no longer use dialup, but when I did I got at least 16 Kb/sec.

A freeware downloader that I used that was very good and free of ads was Star Downloader 1.3. You can obtain it via Tucows at http://www.tucows.com/preview/250856.html.

I hope this helps you out.

9. Bethrezen

hi

LowWaterMark

thansk for clearing that up for me so effectivley wta you are sayin is that if i want faster download speen i need a faster conection correct ??

Prince_Serendip

16 Kb/sec how did you manage that ?? becaues even usin a download accelarator i still cant get a download speed faster that 8 Kb/sec coz i used to use star but got rid of it coz it wasnt conecting when i tryed to download

i take it you had a 128 kbps conection ??

10. LowWaterMark

Hi Larry,

I'm not sure what type of connection you are talking about there, or what type of downloads either. For data that is already compressed (ZIP or EXE files) and which can't gain speed through further compression, you can only transfer over any connection media at the fastest rate of that media.

A 56kbps dialup would yield a maximum rate (when it can't further compress the data being downloaded) of approx 7KB/sec on its best day.

Now, true if you are downloading text or html and it can be compressed, then you will see higher download rates than this.

11. Bethrezen

hi LowWaterMark

i think you missed the point of my question what i was trying to find out is this

ok i have a 64.000bps conection to the net and i usualy get a max download speed of 8.0 kb/sec

with me so far

now what i was trying to find out was if there is anyway to increase this so that i can download large files faster or is 8.0 kb/sec the fastest download speed i can get with my current 64.000bps conection

in which case if i want a faster download speed i need a faster conection is this correct ??

and my other question to Prince_Serendip was how did he manage to get a download speed of 16 kb/sec with a dial up conection when i can only get 8.0 kb/sec with a dial up conection and i was wondering if he was able to do this becaues he had a 128.000bps conection

12. LowWaterMark

I've been with you all along. ;) So, you do now understand that 8.0KB/sec (notice the capital letters) is the maximum speed for a 64kbps (lower case) circuit, right?

No, there really isn't any way to get faster downloads of already compressed "large files". The thing complicating this is that compression of files can really change what your download rate looks like. If you have compression enabled and you download a large text-only file, (or any file with easily compressible data in it), the compression will crunch that file down significantly, on-the-fly, as it moves over the connection so that the download rate you'll see could be huge... 16KB/sec would not be unusual, in fact it could be even faster.

However, if you are downloading a compressed file (such as .ZIP, most .EXEs, certain image types, etc. all of which are already compressed), a compression technique will not help... A file that is already compressed will come down at the maximum throughput of your connection type. In your case, 8KB/sec.

All those accelerator tools do is make your connection as efficient as possible. They compress data. They multi-thread the data (trying to open multiple download paths to the download server). They cache files that are reused so you don't have to download them again. But, they do not give you more download bandwidth then the capacity of the line you have installed. If you really want a faster download rate for large compressed files, you must get a faster connection. (Again, other than the tricks mentioned above, the true download rate for such files is not increased.)

Yes, that is correct.

This does not mean that there aren't some benefits to these download accelerators. There is really something good to be said for making your connection as efficient as possible, but if your goal is being about to download things like: software install or patch kits (.EXEs) or multiple megabyte ZIP files, these tools won't make the kind of speed difference you seem to want.

13. Bethrezen

hi

ok i understand you

but there is 1 point i dont understand you on "compression" what is this and how do i know wether i have it enabled or not and how can i test it when i have it enabled ?

14. LowWaterMark

More often than not the compression on modern modems is done right in the hardware, or if not there then in the protocol of the connection between your PC and where you are connected. The two ends agree upon the settings they'll use including any compression techniques. (You may not be able to do anything about this directly.)

As to what compression is in general? First, here's a page over at HowStuffWorks:

How File Compression Works

Have you ever used WinZIP or any other archive tool? If you have WinZIP installed, you can play around with large text files, or ".BMP" image files which are very compressible, and see just how much smaller they become if you ZIP them. It can be a dramatic size reduction. 10 to 1 is not unreasonable, even more sometimes.

I can send you a private message using the board's IM feature with two download links that you can do a test with to see if compression is already helping you. One is for a large (1MB) file that is already compressed, and the other is to a file the same size that is simple uncompressed text. If compression is already configured on your connection the text file will download much faster than the already compressed one.

Let me know if you want to test this and I'll send you the links.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.